Deciding the Future of the Earth | Teen Ink

Deciding the Future of the Earth

October 1, 2009
By Anonymous

Do you love the planet you live on? Think of all the reasons why you love it. Do you love it because of the lush trees, fascinating wildlife, or beauty that each season brings? If you woke up tomorrow and it was all gone, how would you feel? Well global warming has the power to make this happen. Sure it wouldn’t happen this fast, but there’s a definite possibility of that happening in the future. And one step to changing the future is to recycle. Recycling policies would enforce recycling can save you money, help the Earth, and give you and your community a good reputation.
Not only does recycling save the Earth, but it saves you money too. It’s like killing two birds with one stone! By recycling you throw away less things; which means you empty the trash less often and save money on trash bags. And for some materials you can even get paid to recycle. Aluminum cans are a common household item that can earn you money; most places offer about ten cents a can. Not only will you save money by recycling, but you will make money too!

As well as saving money by recycling, you will save the Earth too. Recycling is one of the best and easiest ways to save our planet; by recycling there will be less waste that is buried in landfills. This may not seem very helpful but it can take over five hundred years for a landfill to completely decompose! And another benefit of recycling is that wouldn’t be as many raw materials that would be destroyed. This would save materials such as trees, aluminum, oil, and water. It would also conserve energy and natural resources, reduce air and water pollution, and green house gases. Recycling, although a small act has a huge effect on the Earth.
Recycling can also have an effect on your reputation as an individual and the community you live in. Recycling can show others that you are kind and care about the Earth. It may even inspire others around you to start recycling too! And it can impact your community as well; imagine that you were looking for a house and you went to two different communities. One is littered with trash on the streets. The trash cans produce vomit in the form garbage and they wreak a raunchy bile. While the other neighborhood is lined with recycling bins while the trash cans are only half full, and the trash cans leave no stench behind. Obviously,7 the cleaner neighborhood is the one you would pick. If your community was like this it could leave a lasting impression in someone’s mind.

You may think it’s impossible to save the Earth; but if everyone pitches in with something as small as recycling then we can eventually heal our planet. Recycling policies would help us take one step closer to this; as well as saving you money, helping the Earth, and giving you a good reputation. It is an action that needs to be taken immediately. As Dr. Rajendra Pachauri said, “Climate change is for real. We have just a small window of opportunity and it is closing rather rapidly. There is not a moment to lose".