A True Tragic Romance. | Teen Ink

A True Tragic Romance.

Two cultures. Two races. Two backgrounds. Two opposite childhoods. One love. One burning heart full of love + happiness. The outside world is ripping us apart. Everyone we know + love is pushing us away. We’re now to the point of no conclusion + no way out. No one can help us, and there really is no solution that’ll satisfy everyone in our lives. 

Everyone knows the story of Romeo + Juliet. Every time we got caught, it didn’t even matter. The words of wisdom we’re pouring out of people above us, who we were supposed to trust + love. Everything swept through the cells in our brains just like any other receiving message, but instead of our brains comprehending the information, it got pushed into the dumpster pile. Everyone seems to have an opinion on our love life. 

In today’s day + age, everything is “normal” to everyone. Except for the conservatives. The ones who wanna keep the traditional traditions alive. For example, my parents. I come from a middle-class family, fully caucasian, with a full-blood Christian background. Telling my parents I have fallen in love with a black boy was like I had stabbed both of them in the chest. It didn’t matter what I did next, how he even treated me, it was all about his skin color. It was only about how we both came from different parts of Wisconsin, and both had very different upbringings. 

No matter how hard they tried to push us away, our love continued to grow + blossom. We continued to talk. Continued to find ways to meet each other alone. Continued to still make sacrifices just to see how far our love would go. Sometimes it’d go too far, or we’d get too risky, and end up getting caught. But the consequences were always worth the crime. No regrets. If I knew I would regret it later on, I wouldn’t do it. 

Some say love is painful. Some say it’s risky. Some say it brings them joy + peace. Some say it’s all they want out of life. But also there are some who say they don’t want anything to do with it. It’s a personal choice + also you decide on how you see life + love; whether you receive love or not. I choose to receive it. Yes, there may be consequences because some disapprove. That’s okay. It’s not their decision anyways.