What is love? | Teen Ink

What is love?

What is love and how are we called to love? Many people would ask this question, and it can be defined in many different ways. As Christians though, we might see love in a different way. We will see what love is, how we are called to love by God, and why God calls us to love.

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8a. These are all the things that make up love for Christians. Some might see it in other ways though. People of the world might see love as a one night stand. They might always see that divorce is the only option when there are hardships. As Chrisitans we know God is love and love is a blessing that we must protect at all times. Divorce is not in the options. We need to be patient and kind with one another. Do all things that are true and will honour God. Love isn’t just some word we can flip around uselessly, it is something that we need to protect.

Knowing love is great to have, but we can't really do anything with it unless we know how God actually calls us to love. How we love others around us, and even ourselves. We are image bearers of Him after all. We must show love how He wants us to: “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.” (John 15:12-13) This very commandment was given by God and we must not just throw it away. We might just look at it and think that this would be very easy, but we have sinful natures that make us want to hate our neighbors. So how would you be able to even sacrifice your life for those you love? Wouldn’t you want to save your own skin? Try to run away and hide from the dangers of the world instead of helping your friend. This would be very hard, that is why we have to find strength in God and the Holy Spirit. They will help us stay and love the way God wants us to love. 

The next thing is why does God call us to love? Why can't we go about our day without having to worry about others around us? It sure would make life easier only having to worry about yourself, wouldn’t it? But that's not how God wants us to live. He wants us to love all those around us. As World Vision Advocacy tells us, “God loves us with such incredible love. He wants us to experience this incredible, life-changing love, mercy, and compassion not only from Him, but from those around us. And he wants us to show that love to others around us.” (worldvisionadvocacy.org/2019/08/30/30-bible-verses-about-gods-call-to-love-others/). Not even just people in our lives too, he wants us to show it eo everyone around us. 

Love is something that we can find in everything, the people around us and the creation that God gives us. It is present in everything, but Godly love is the most powerful love that there is.