Broken Glasses | Teen Ink

Broken Glasses

One Sunday night as I was getting ready for bed, I noticed the crooked slant of the nose bridge of my favorite glasses. This had been a problem for weeks, but I kept trying to adjust them. In the end, they always returned to their unsatisfying, slanted state. Still, I forced my glasses upward and downward, trying to adjust them into a perfect form. Finally, I had done it. But upon closer inspection, I found there was a split in the part connecting my left lens to the nose bridge, and eventually, it snapped off. I sat there in shock and knew it would cost a lot to fix, if it was even fixable in the first place.

Like my broken glasses, relationships between people can be broken the same way, and the cost of fixing a relationship is very high if it is even fixable in the first place. Like the lenses of glasses, important people in your life add different views and help you see and experience various perspectives. In this sense, and for many other reasons, these people are crucial for your life. However, nobody is perfect, and therefore these people are also flawed, much like the crooked nose bridge of my glasses. When you fixate on people's flaws instead of focusing on the insight, perspective, and color they add to your life, you could unknowingly force your relationship to break in your attempt to make the person “perfect” when it is in reality, impossible. After a relationship is broken, it costs a lot of effort and time to fix, and may not be fixable. If the relationship is not fixable, you may be able to find a new “replacement.” Still, in the end, the replacement is never the same and if you keep making the same mistakes, you will end up hurting yourself and too many other people through failed relationships.