Most Memorable Moments | Teen Ink

Most Memorable Moments

June 7, 2023
By Anonymous

The moment when the boat driver said, “throttle down!” and I emerge from the water. The moment when I see the raging crowd from behind the backdrop. The moment when I almost fell when I turned around backwards. The moment when I turned my head to look forward, glaring at the hook hanging off the edge of the dock I had to grab. The moment my heart is racing, grab it, you got it. The moment I hear the click of the hooks together and my sisters uncoiling rope from the dock. The moment there is no time for a deep breath, when everything is silent. The moment the rope goes tight, stay tight, stay tight. The moment her ski hits the water and I sigh in relief, putting my hands in the air with the biggest smile on my face. The moment I knew we did it. 

These moments are precious. Ones we won’t have forever. I cherish every second I have with my friends and family because those are the memories that last a lifetime. My family makes me who I am and the memories I have with them show who I have become. I am so lucky to have been able to live the life I’ve lived for the past 17 years. Most kids can’t say they get to go skiing all the time and spend most days out on the boat in the summer. My family has blessed me in too many ways to count and all I hope is that I can do the same for my children. 

I hope I can bless them in all the ways my parents did for me. I hope when they close their eyes, their mind will be swirling with amazing memories, like skiing at their state competition, ones they will never forget. Or like Disney World, vacations, the first day of school, or getting a dog. But, even the smallest things can hold the biggest spots in our hearts. Like the dinner table, filled with laughter as the kids joke to each other, as they sneak food under the table to the dog, as mom and dad pretend they don’t see, as all is perfect for that one moment. 

Those small moments are what makes life worth living, what makes a family connected, and what I enjoy most. People don’t need expensive things like boats and vacations. All we need to thrive is quality time spent with the ones we love. No matter where. The small moments like the smack of a ski, when I had accomplished something I never would’ve imagined. The small moments are what builds our personalities and makes us who we are. And I wouldn’t trade those memories for anything.


The author's comments:

I wrote about special memories