Beauty or Brains? | Teen Ink

Beauty or Brains?

By clararussell BRONZE, Houston, Texas
clararussell BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Have you ever wondered why guys only choose to date the girls that are either brainless, or have a completely fake personality? Well, I think that the answer remains questioned. Most guys go after the “hot blondes,” not really caring about their personality, and only their looks. I think that this issue causes three main problems. For one, it makes some girls feel insecure, or not “pretty” enough. Two, it gives girls a label on what they should and should not look like. And lastly, it tells girls that we need to reach a high expectation to be good enough.

As we know, the world is not perfect. However, we also live in a very judgmental world. Today, girls are constantly judged on their facial features, they eye and hair color, their body, and more. When guys choose the girls with not only no brain, but a horrible personality, it shows what kind of guy that person really is. Not only is it a shallow act on the guy’s part, but it also offends the girls. When girls see that guys are not going to be interested unless you meet certain expectations, they tend to change their features to meet others expectations. Things such as dying hair and acting dumb are two things that girls do just to get guy’s attention, knowing that they will not even notice them unless they act that way. Because of all these horrendous acts, girls are influenced to change themselves to the way others would rather them look like.

All throughout magazine’s, girls are shown what they should and should not look like. For instance, have you ever seen an overweight person on the cover of a magazine? This example is why so many girls are self conscious, because they are not only constantly judged by everyone around them, but also by guys. I think that guys play a major part in why girls sometimes do not feel pretty enough. For one, most guys do not talk to the girls that they do not feel are up to their “standards.” In most cases, personality is the last thing that even matters. Most guys only care about the outside appearance. Even though they say that they look for sweet, beautiful girls, they tend to go for the brainless fake girls instead. Even though guys might say that they want sophisticated girls that are intelligent and sweet, they usually don’t keep their word. Unfortunately, girls cannot control the looks they are born with, but it is also up to them weather to change themselves just for the benefit of guys.

Having high expectations is not only rude, but it is also making girls be something they are not. If a guy truly liked a girl, he would accept the way she was and not ask her to change. Even though magazines show that we are supposed to look thin, with perfect hair and a perfect body, girls cannot be perfect no matter how hard we try. Even though on the surface, a girl may act like they are comfortable with being someone who they aren’t, they would much rather be accepted the way they are without someone asking them to change just to be accepted. Even though they will not admit it, they would much rather have boys ask them to stay exactly who they are. Sometimes it is difficult for a guy to admit that they would rather have a clueless attractive girl than an average intelligent one. However, if the world only depended on outer appearances, how would problems such as racism or discrimination ever be solved?

I believe that judging girls from their outer appearance is wrong as well as insulting. The next time a guy thinks about rejecting an intelligent girl, I think that they should think about what will end up happening in the long run. If judging continues, it think that not only will girl’s self esteem continue to drop, but that they will never feel good enough, even though they cannot change what they were given. I also think that guys should be able to step up and know that judging girls is wrong, and it will only continue to affect girls in a negative way in the long run.

icecreamrules, Alameda, California

Something Woody Allan said , " Its fine strolling down the memory lane, just don't build a house there. "
Thats probably not exact. But it spoke to me.

Personally, I think guys go for the outgoing ones that made themsleves pretty by trends and things. its just really hard to be yourself.

Tara_4 said...
yes, judging people is wrong. i never said it wasn't, but i think that girls need to get a backbone and build up their self confidence! if they don't think they're pretty or special or beautiful, then how can they expect others to? how can someone else love them if they don't even love themselves? girls, stick up for yourself! love yourself and don't let anyone else tell you that you aren't worth anyting. you are priceless!

Jasmine7 BRONZE, Cecil Lake, Other

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Maya Angelou

only a phase...except for the ones who commit suicide from not feeling good enough, or starve themselves.

teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin

We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

Wow, you people are quite jaded and bitter, aren't you? 

-Oliver Wendell Holmes

I am glad to hear that not all guys are totally superficial and shallow, but I think the author was referring to the vast majority of males, who are. Girls sometimes get the idea that all guys are like that, but that's because most of the guys we know are superficial and shallow. Some of them really do care about more than appearance, though, but they just do not show it. 

Tara_4 said...
Tara_4, Heber City, Utah
i believe that this is only a phase. when girls are teenagers they are very insecure so they change themselves to be what guys want. but in the end, who says yes to the guy who is on his knees begging that perfect woman to marry him? it's that same insecure little 14 year old girl who finally realized that she is loved for who she is.

KayKay:-) said...
Well excuse me! I am a blonde blue-eyed girl! I certaintly have a personality, and in my opinion I am smart. There HAVE been labels especially put on girls like me. Uh, ever heard of blonde jokes? Anyways, most guys don't care about looks. Usually that behavior only happens because of insticts. Sorry guys, but your brains are wired to find women that are extremely skinny and beautiful, since they're most likely to 'keep humans from dying out' if you knwo what I mean. Like with girls, we're naturally attracted to big macho guys who can protect us and our kids. Stupid instincts! LOL.

WriterFanatic PLATINUM, DesMoines, Iowa

A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
By Gandhi.

This is a sexist article.

I dont mean this rudely. But I must disagree. I am a guy and I can tell you for a fact that not all of us are like that.

me for example. The person of my dreams isnt necessarily the most beautiful person in the world...to others. To me, she is the most beautiful person on earth.

Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder

I do realize that this article was based on a general stereotype. Some guys are like that.

But not all of us are.=)

Brianna D said...
Katie is 100% correct.

Katie C said...
Sorry dear, but I have to disagree almost entirely. This in many ways, is very hypocritical. For one, you are associating fake girls who are rotten, with a certain image. (ie.skinny, blue eyes, blonde hair)... therefore you are just as bad as guys who judge girls. Second of all, you are speaking of how harsh judgement's are effecting the self esteem of females. Instead of whining about it, why don't girls just grow a back bone? Seriously! This is a harsh, cold world. Once you grow up, nobody is going to pat you on the back and tell you that you are beautiful. They have bigger problems than your diminishing self-esteem. Third of all, how can you generalize and say that all guys feel this way? Maybe the ones who do love girls for their personality just don't happen to be on your radar because THEY'RE unattractive, in YOUR eyes. Last and most importantly - it is certainly not 'rude' of boys to go for who they are attracted to. They like what they like, and you like what you like. Get over it. Sorry, but that's how I feel. I think I'm going to submit my own article with this opinion.

LovableD BRONZE, Killeen, Texas

Are you living or are you exsisting

Well I do agree with you, because your absoutly right, but i do think that some boys don't feel that way. But if you see the connection you'll see that it really occurs on popular boys because they have to have a  good reputation so most of the time its the boys insecurities, but not all boys. And you also have to know the girls that go out  them feel as though this is the one way ticket to popularity, so the girls haves a big part to it of course.

Whylime said...
Whylime, Brentwood, Tennessee

Grief is the price we pay for love -- Queen Elizabeth ll
Don't go there, I'll only follow -- ???
Why is a raven like a writing desk? -- The Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland
Chewing gum is really gross, chewing gum I hate the most -- Willy W.

thankyou! we re just as bad! i was asked out once by a guy who wasn't exactly "hot" and i totally judged him. now that ive known him a little longer ive looked past what he looks like and now find him... pleasant. Because believe me, im NOT a beuaty queen

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

It's never to late, if it weren't for the last minute many things would never get done!

This was great, and so relatable! I could relate because of something that happened between me and the girl I sat beside:

We had just gotten an assignment back, and I was a little disappointed as I had tried my hardest, and only gotten a level 3. I heard her groan.

Me: What’s wrong?

Her: I got 2 level 4’s!

I’m so confused, as to why she’s upset about getting the best there is.

Me: Why’s that bad?

Her: Guys don’t like nerds.

Me: You’re not a nerd.

Her: Yes, I am I just got 2 level 4’s!

Me: Being smart isn’t being a nerd.

Her: Whatever, guys still don’t like smart people. You’re so lucky!

Me: Why?

Her: Well you only got level 3’s and you’re a klutz.

Me: What does that have to do with anything?

Her: Well you’re not a nerd, so guys like you, and guys like klutzy girls.

I’m now pissed because I would have liked to get two level 4’s, and I hate being a klutz, but she’s jealous of me, because she thinks it’s cute to be klutzy. Eventually I try to tell her this but she doesn’t believe me, and even today, she’s trying to get guys to like her.

Sorry for the long account but I needed to get it out there. Anyway, keep it up, and be yourself. A guy who’s better is out there!

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

Me: What’s wrong?

Her: I got 2 level 4’s!

Me: Why’s that bad?

Her: Guys don’t like nerds.

Me: You’re not a nerd.

Her: Yes, I am I just got 2 level 4’s!

Me: Being smart isn’t being a nerd.

Me: Why?

arewethereyet SILVER, Davao, Other
Well, about this, I partially agree. there are some who are capable of thinking properly. I know this because I used to have someone who really loved me because of who I was, not just my looks (though some say I'm pretty... I don't really believe them ). He accepted me, the good and the bad side... Even though everyone knew I didn't deserve him. He was really good... I just didn't know at that time... What I'm saying is, it's unfair of you to speak badly of the guys out there, sure most of them are foolish, there are still some who are an exception...

ChasingWildFlowers BRONZE, Miamisburg, Ohio

"Good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die."

I COMPLETELY disagree. You are critisizing guys because they 'judge' girls. You are judging the guys by saying they ALL care about your outside. I find this the complete opposite of true. I, for one, am not the most attractive person ever, but my boyfriend likes me for me. I think it depends on the guy and you can tell which guys are the good ones by the way they act. I hate when girls get offended when a guy says "man, she's hot", but it's alright for a girl to say "awww.. he's so cute" or "he's hot!". What makes it okay for a girl to say these things, but not a guy? If a girl heard a guy saying that they'd probably jump to the conclusion that all he wants is some action and is very sexist. I think girls need to give guys more credit. Coming from a girl, I think we're the judgemental ones sometimes. Not to say that nothing you said was true, because that's not the case. I am just not agreeing with the guys judging part. Anyways, I just wanted to get my point across and since this is getting rather lengthy, I think I'll end this mini-rant.

P.S.- Please ignore any spelling errors of mine. I typed this quickly..

nolongerinuse SILVER, San Antonio, Texas

“Love has no desire but to fulfill itself. To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving.” - Kahlil Gibran

HEAR HEAR! I'm glad some girl has finally given men a clear view of what the problem is. It ISN'T just the fact other girls are prettier--it wouldn't matter to us at all if men didn't put so much emphasis on it.I have been told twice in the last school year alone that the guys talking to me had bigger " boob "s than me.I pretended not to feel mortally offended and embarressed. I felt like crying. I know lots of girl care about what men look like, and they can be taactless, but not all girls are. My friends and I all agree we would take a normal-sized guy with no special strength any day compared to a freakishly buff guys with high testosterone levels. And chillax-- I don't know about other girls, but I'd much rather have a boyfriend with no facial hair, instead of a walrus trying to kiss me. Urgh. :)