A Friend | Teen Ink

A Friend

By jake2011 DIAMOND, Cheyenne Wells, Colorado
jake2011 DIAMOND, Cheyenne Wells, Colorado

"With God all things are possible" Matthew 19:26

There are many definitions of a friend. Many people have their own. Merriam Webster’s Dictionary defines friend as: “one attached to another by affection or esteem.” Is that a good definition of a friend?

I asked myself, “What is my definition of a friend? Is it like the Dictionary’s definition?” So I started thinking about my friends. I asked myself, “What made them my friends?”

I sat thinking about those questions and answers began to come out of me. I think a friend is someone you can trust. Someone you can rely on and you know will come if you needed them. A friend is someone who sticks by you when times are great and when times are tough. A friend is someone who cares for you. I think a friend enjoys your company and talking with you. A friend would do things for you.

A friend is many other things too. I asked myself if I was that for my friends? Did they consider me one of their friends? I looked at my answers again. I was some of those things. Not all of them but some. All my friends have all those qualities and fit that definition but I don’t. I need to be a better friend.

All in all, I agree with Merriam Webster’s Dictionary’s definition of the word friend. I think a person who is a friend probably has affection for their friend. I know I do.

What is your definition of a friend? How do you know which friends you can count on? Do you agree with the Dictionary’s definition of a friend?

Everyone needs a good friend. Thanks to all my friends and to everyone who read this.

tylerz GOLD said...
tylerz GOLD, Cheyenne Wells, Colorado

Life is to short to not share it with another person.

kind of but youll have to look at it our way rev. how do we define ourselves as friends. something unexplainable to me

megpie000 PLATINUM, Marietta, Georgia

"Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord you God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to." Deuteronomy 15:10

i love your definition of a friend!!!! :D great job btw

kaitlyn4 SILVER, Keller, Texas
Wow, your difinition was really deep. My difinition of a friend would be pretty simular. I do agree to the Dictionary's difinition, I have affection for all my friends.

SmileLikeUMeanIt, Tyndall, South Dakota

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." -John 1:1

You have interesting thoughts on this! I've never actually thought that deep into it before. I do agree with their definition but yours was much more thorough. :)