A Friend | Teen Ink

A Friend

January 19, 2010
By jake2011 DIAMOND, Cheyenne Wells, Colorado
jake2011 DIAMOND, Cheyenne Wells, Colorado
74 articles 5 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
"With God all things are possible" Matthew 19:26


There are many definitions of a friend. Many people have their own. Merriam Webster’s Dictionary defines friend as: “one attached to another by affection or esteem.” Is that a good definition of a friend?


I asked myself, “What is my definition of a friend? Is it like the Dictionary’s definition?” So I started thinking about my friends. I asked myself, “What made them my friends?”


I sat thinking about those questions and answers began to come out of me. I think a friend is someone you can trust. Someone you can rely on and you know will come if you needed them. A friend is someone who sticks by you when times are great and when times are tough. A friend is someone who cares for you. I think a friend enjoys your company and talking with you. A friend would do things for you.



A friend is many other things too. I asked myself if I was that for my friends? Did they consider me one of their friends? I looked at my answers again. I was some of those things. Not all of them but some. All my friends have all those qualities and fit that definition but I don’t. I need to be a better friend.


All in all, I agree with Merriam Webster’s Dictionary’s definition of the word friend. I think a person who is a friend probably has affection for their friend. I know I do.


What is your definition of a friend? How do you know which friends you can count on? Do you agree with the Dictionary’s definition of a friend?


The author's comments:
Everyone needs a good friend. Thanks to all my friends and to everyone who read this.