A Reality of Falling in Love | Teen Ink

A Reality of Falling in Love

By mikamika94 GOLD, Marshall, Virginia
mikamika94 GOLD, Marshall, Virginia

"But now I'm told that this is life and pain is just a simple compromise to get what we want out of it." ~ Paramore ,"Misguided Ghosts

Every girl goes through it. The moment you think you’ve fallen in love. Your age no longer matters. All that matters is the beating of your heart and how you feel. You’ve imagined the moment that you see him and instantly fallen in love but never really thought that it could happen. Yet here you are feeling this way. Love seems to be knocking right at your door and hey, how could you possibly refuse it?
Unfortunately, what once appeared to be a dream come true can turn into a complete and utter nightmare. For many girls this is a reality.
I was one of those girls.
Dictionary.com defines rape as “the unlawful compelling of a woman through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse”. It defines statutory rape as “sexual intercourse with a girl under the age of consent, which age varies in different states”.
Here is my story. In the summer of 2008 I was 13 years old and I naively thought that I was in love. By the end of August in that same year I no longer thought so. The reason being that on August 22 I was raped by my then boyfriend. I innocently trusted him and had my trust betrayed in the patch of woods across from my school. It’s the hardest thing to write out the details because it feels as if I’m reliving it. I thought we were going for a walk to meet some of his friends and I was going to hang around while they smoked. He started kissing me then touching me and before I fully comprehended what was happening he was pinning me down on the ground. I laid there with the sun across my face while little raindrops began to fall until he finished. I didn’t know what to do. I was scared and alone. I was shaking badly but he didn’t notice. He left to go home and I went back to the school to wait on my mom to pick me up.
On September 1, Labor Day, my mom took me to the nearest hospital. We had been fighting and she was terrified that I would kill myself. In Florida, the law is that if a person is taken into the hospital either threatening to kill themselves or very depressed they have to be Baker Acted. Being Baker Acted means that they take you to a facility where they can watch, evaluate, and diagnose you in an environment where you can’t hurt yourself. I was there for five days which seemed to drag on for weeks. I left with the diagnosis of depression and a subscription for anti-depressants. I didn’t take them for long. Although they appeared to make me happy I felt even closer to committing suicide.
Before I was raped, I had total trust in my mom. I could tell her anything but after it happened I simply felt that I couldn’t bear to tell her. I was ashamed and I hated myself. I felt that if I was stronger and smarter it wouldn’t have happened. Logically, I know now that there was nothing I could have done. I’m 5’1” and 94 lbs. with minor medical issues (ovarian cysts) so obviously when put up against a much bigger guy I don’t stand a chance.
The boy raped me a total of 6 times in various locations before my family and I moved to Virginia in October 2008. Miraculously, I managed to trust another boy while up there. He understood that I was hurt. He helped me through my self-loathing and I truly believe that in a way he saved my life. He made me want to live again. Towards the end of 2009, I was finally healed enough to be able to bring myself to tell my mom what happened. It was such a saddening experience when I told her. She put the pieces as to why I had hated myself so much and we cried for hours and hours.
The reason why I’m writing this isn’t just for myself. I want every person who reads this to understand that terrible things can happen even when it’s not your fault. This world we live in can be the most beautiful thing to ever exist in our eyes but it still has its dangers like a rose has thorns. We, as teenagers and as human beings, are in no ways invincible and nor should we have to be. When awful things happen we can still rise above it all. We can become all the stronger for it.

mikamika94 GOLD, Marshall, Virginia

Thank you so much for your replies! They truly mean a lot to me and I'm so happy that my article gives you inspiration! It brings tears to my eyes just knowing that there are people out there who care enough to read my article and state their opinion on it. You make me proud to be bringing more awareness to rape =]

twiwrite GOLD said...
twiwrite GOLD, Modesto, California

none :P

im glad you were able to put that experience behind you

Moonluv13 said...
You are a very strong person and a great inspiration. I see you as so very brave to be able to share this like you are and it's also my belief that this will help others out there, both those who have been through this and also those who may find themselves faced with the same type of situation. Blessed be sweet one!

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

This is an amazingly written article, and I find it inspiring that you can write so well about such a devastating experience. Despite the fact that the article is about something horrifying, it gives me hope to think that you managed to get through this experience and write about it.

beyond_love_x SILVER, Spring City, Pennsylvania

"Music gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."

It saddens me that such good people like yourself have to go through such devastating tragedies. NO ONE deserves this, no one ever. Any man that does this is sick and twisted. It isn't your fault and there was nothing you could do. He was much bigger and stronger, and by physically fighting back he could have reacted with fatal results. But you are so brave, and you are doing a great thing by telling your story, and making others aware of just how unexpectedly it can happen.

mikamika94 GOLD, Marshall, Virginia

I would really appreciate your opinions on this article. It was very difficult for me to write but I just had to get it out. Let me know what you think and please rate.