Dating | Teen Ink

Dating

August 2, 2010
By In_Love_Loved PLATINUM, Concord, New Hampshire
In_Love_Loved PLATINUM, Concord, New Hampshire
24 articles 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I've lost my faith in so many things but I still believe in you." -Sanctus Real


There are tons of questions out there on this topic: dating. What age should you start? How do you do it?

As a Christian, dating is different for us than it is for the world because dating is for the purpose of getting to know someone to find out if that is the right person for you to marry.

Marraige = a covenant. NOT a contract. Vows are a declaration, a promise. Vows are not a document. What is the point of marriage? It is representing + reflecting a very beautiful part of our Christian faith.

After reading that you may or may not agree with me, and that's fine. I hope you think for yourself and are looking into things. We have more questions than answers and that's okay.

So for the dating world:

Proverbs state that you need to PROTECT YOUR HEART. It is the wellspring of life. Remember that. Lesson from Fireproof - lead your heart, don't just follow it.

In all things, love God, love people, love yourself. That is the core of who we are. When you start looking at yourself and your progress and your personal stuff, it gets dicey - FAST.

In any kind of relationships -> family, romantic, friendships -> HONESTY is imperative. You're Christians so you're in a loving relationship with each other which means you can say things without taking offense, but care, help each other. Put the facts out there and work through it.

Romanticly? It's kinda difficult to know.

Psalms say that God gives you the desires of your heart. Remember that.

You come to a fork and both directions look pretty good and you're stuck thinking how do you know which one to take, because what if what looks right is wrong and you go the wrong direction?

If you go the wrong direction, you'll know won't you?

God knows that you love Him and want to honor Him, and you are free from fear - just live. If you are interested in someone and it's mutual and you're responsible and matture and ready to take the leap and see where it goes, then take the leap and see where it goes.

You can't open the Bible and find, "dear (with your name) here is my plan for you," and then have the day, date, and time listed. But you will find what KIND of plan God has for you - no fear, but hope, but love, but valliance, but joy, but wonder, but mission, but purpose, but connected to Him. Not lost, not stupid, not ugly, not forgotten.

Remember if you feel condemnation, accused, stressed out, scared, like your faith life is on the line and you have TO FIGURE IT OUT NOW - that IS NOT God. God wants you to be convicted, confident, happy.

When you do get in a relationship, don't forget to focus on the reason why you like that person in the first place and how your relationship came from your friendship. Focus on your friendship because as that grows, your relationship will grow.