Valentine Schmalentine | Teen Ink

Valentine Schmalentine

By MagicPen GOLD, Victorville, California
MagicPen GOLD, Victorville, California

"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care"

Valentine’s day is coming up . . . The reaction to this statement depends on perspective. Some girls will sigh dramatically, clutching hands to their hearts while thinking of gallant lovers. Guys will groan in dismay, remembering that they still haven’t made date plans or decided whether to pick chocolate, or flowers, or both. Ah, yes. Love is in the air, how sickly touching.
But what do you do if you’re a single girl on Valentine’s Day? You could write a heartfelt note to the guy of your dreams. But that generally doesn’t end well, nor does sending him flowers. Okay. On a side note, come on, girls. Sending a guy flowers? When did this become a good idea? What guy has a vase brimming with flowers in his man cave? Yes, my point exactly.

It’s not that I’m against being an independent and strong gal. But there is a difference between taking care of yourself and being desperate. The girl shouldn’t ask the guy out. I guess there’s no law opposed to her gently, kind of, pushing him along, but the asking is his job. Enough said.

So what else is there in life if you can’t force your love to do something fun with you? No need to gawk, I have answers. And I will summarize these in three points to simplify. (No need to thank me. I know I’m wonderful.)

#1. Flow with it
Hey, Valentine’s day is about showing the person you love how much you care, right? Time to treat one of the most important people in your life (you) to a day of luxury.

Go for a quiet walk. Read an old romance novel or watch a cheesy movie. Gorge yourself with chocolate. Make an “I love me” heart cake. Send yourself a love note. Take you out to a fancy dinner. Buy an assortment of gorgeous flowers and mail them to yourself. Whatever you can do to make you happy. It’s all about you. Tell yourself how amazing you are while you’re at it.

#2. Ignore it
It’s a stupid holiday anyway. (No offence, St. Valentine.) But think about it. What’s the point to go ballistic one day of the year to show a guy you love him? The whole point of love is that it’s “to the ends of the earth, 'till the end of time”. That's what touches people’s hearts with that warm fuzzy feeling, not crummy chocolate or wilting flowers. Not to mention, it’s easier to pretend like the holiday doesn’t exist, and if you don’t have a boyfriend, it’s not like you’re breaking anyone’s heart, so it's all good. Start practicing. "What was that? Today's Valentine's Day? Huh, go figure. No, no, I didn't know. I never pay attention to that kind of thing."

#3. Hate it
This is my personal favorite. Ahh the sweet smell of disgust. This is the perfect day to feel sorry for yourself and mope around for twenty four hours without feeling guilty. Be useless, complain, grumble, be unusually sarcastic and deadpan about everything and anything that comes up. Inwardly make fun of people who are in love. Watch movies with cute guy actors and criticize them; their feelings, their hair, their smile, anything that you liked before. Heck, use a Nerf gun and shoot them, telling the guy who’s love-struck how much of a moron he is for picking her and not you. Maliciously write a list of all the awesome, good-looking guys you can think of who are suckers for not having you as a girlfriend. They’ll be so miserable without you. You almost feel sorry for them.

So, yes. These are three different ways to go about crummy Valentine’s day when you’re single. Pick the one you like best, the one that sounds the most enjoyable. Mix and match if you want. But most of all, remember, it IS a holiday so take the time to mark this day out of the whole year to do something unusually fun, even if it means eating candy and yelling at a TV screen all day.

I think this piece speaks for itself.

MagicPen GOLD said...
MagicPen GOLD, Victorville, California

Thank you for your feedback, RunningWater, appreciate it.

Regarding your questions on my take of the other days, I say DASH 'EM ALL! (I'm totally kidding.) But in reality, shouldn't every day be mom and pop's day, the day to thank them and show them how much you care? Why should it just be one day of the year? It should be year-round. (And all the parents in the house said? "Amen!") 

Faded.Ink BRONZE, Toronto, Other

"When I went to school, we got an assignment asking
what we want to be when were older.
My response was "Happy", the teacher told me
that I didn't understand the assignment.
I told her that she didn't understand life."

I liked your article. Mind telling me what's your take on others "days" such as father's day, mother's day, etc. ? Because surely, if you think going ballistic on one day just to show someone how much you love them, that concept would also apply to these others days as well, no? and don't get me wrong, i hate valentines day either lol