How Our Friends Help Discover Ourselves | Teen Ink

How Our Friends Help Discover Ourselves

By melancholyflame GOLD, Hacienda Heights, California
melancholyflame GOLD, Hacienda Heights, California

"We should enjoy each moment of our existence, because everyday is the first day of the rest of our lives." --Melanie Y.

Adolescence is the time in which most are still “discovering” themselves and establishing who they are as individuals, which leads them to gather into exclusive groups of friends.
Many people form cliques and social groups at some point in their lives whether they realize it or not, and these groups are exactly what everyone needs to expand and develop a sense of self-identity. 
As I grew accustomed to my junior year, I became closer to a few old friends, finding a group within journalism that I could be myself with. Being with my little circle allowed me to define myself as a friend, as a high school student and as a person.
It was not until this happened that I realized how much of high school life I had been missing out on—both its ups and downs. Because of my friends, I finally had a reason to go out to explore my interests, discover new hobbies and develop myself as an individual.
The more time I spent with my friends, the more they opened my eyes to the fact that I was actually a more extroverted person than I originally thought I was. They brought me out of my shell, and showed me that I didn’t have to be afraid to be my outgoing self.
Contrary to popular belief, being part of a social group does not mean that a person cannot be independent. Many believe that being part of a group means complying with the status quo, habits or lifestyle choices of others.
In reality however, it can actually aid in the process of independence because it can make someone realize his or her natural talents and beneficial traits.
For instance, you would not necessarily know that you're a naturally funny person until your friends laugh at your jokes, or that you have a talent in dancing or figure skating until you try it out with your friends. In some cases, the friend who typically plans socials may see that he or she can actually make a very efficient events coordinator. Finding our strengths is part of the complex progression of discovering who we are, and friend groups often aid us in that aspect.
The verbal and emotional exchanges shared among close friends assist in formulating a sense of character. Oftentimes, these relationships can help you better gauge your strengths and weaknesses and challenge you to grow into a mature young adult. As a result, it compels you to notice personal aspects that you may have never realized before.
Friendships therefore build patience, grow affection, and teach basic virtues. While you may still have the same opportunities to explore and grow as an individual without being in a particular group, the experience is very much not the same.
Because the way a person interacts within a group can indicate a possible role he or she could potentially play in society, friends are a key factor to helping in defining identity. After all, the naturally philanthropic, pure-hearted friend you know could possibly be volunteering within the community over the weekends, whereas the obviously hilarious jokester may very well be the class clown at school.
Although there are indeed friendship circles that pose negative influences, groups in general are still beneficial to further development of leadership, social skills and conformity with society. Any person can counteract negative influences by joining other crowds of people, making better friends that bring out the best in them.
As teenagers, this critical period of time is a phase in which individuals are still trying to figure out what they want to pursue in the future and what their main life goals are. Without close friends to provide new experiences and new interests, it isn’t uncommon that people often become stuck at this stage and are unable to further mature or discover exactly what they want to do in the future.
It is thus imperative to surround ourselves with positive influences and those who can potentially mold us into better people. By being around our friends, we can bring out the best in our personalities, and discover ourselves during the process.