Is “Precious” too realistic? | Teen Ink

Is “Precious” too realistic?

By JustkeepswimminqxD BRONZE, Roslyn Heights, New York
JustkeepswimminqxD BRONZE, Roslyn Heights, New York

The movie Precious based on the novel Push by Sapphire about a 16 year old girl named Claireece “Precious” Jones who was raised in an abusive household with her mother and her mother’s boyfriend, where she deals with verbal, physical and sexual abuse from both her mother, and father who lives in a different home. Precious has one child with Down’s Syndrome, but her mother doesn’t let the baby stay in the house with them so she lives with her grandmother and the only time Precious gets to see the baby is when the social worker visits to evaluate the child care.
This movie was very realistic. It showed what some people actually have to deal with in everyday life. While at this movie there were many scenes that were very risqué for teenagers. Many teens watching this movie started to laugh at scenes that were very serious. Many issues in this movie have to deal with how one picture oneself. This is a well-written movie even though it shows the truth behind abusive households. Precious has to deal with many things in this movie that no teenager should have to face.
Precious is an outstanding film but many people treated it like it was something to joke about if you really sat down and took time to look at what this young girl has to deal with you would understand the meaning of the film.

erinw--Jov said...
Although I have not seen this movie, I agree with what you're saying. I get annoyed when people laugh at certain things that are too serious to laugh at. But honestly, I think that's why that movie was rated R. It just wasn't meant to be made fun of by ignorant teenagers

thats true.

Unusual BRONZE said...
Unusual BRONZE, Griswold, Iowa

"Maturity should not be measured in someones age but in the way they act."

Some do report abuse, but sometimes the police takes the parents word over the kids.

it is realistic to some. this is what some teenagers actually have deal with in everyday life. while doing community service ive heard storys and seen how growing up in an abusive household takes a toll on oneself, so this is very realistic it shows the truth behind abuse.

AlcinoustheXIIth, Cedar Hill, Texas
Precious was not realistic at all. Still an amazing film, but...I guess the all the hype just kinda spoiled its freshness and meaning. But still a good movie.

Kierra White BRONZE, Roslyn Heights, New York
hahahahhaa .wordd . im madd someone put report abuseeee

lol haha ilyy

report abusee ?? . nahhh. LOLL .

hahaha i love you kierra you so funny even thou you sitting right next to me! hahaha thankss :)

i likee it . . kill it !! yur famouss owww

owwww vicki i luv dis articlee likee !! 5 starrr . . lmfao