Why Music Should be Censored | Teen Ink

Why Music Should be Censored

March 25, 2010
By 4801478736 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
4801478736 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever pondered the thought of why our society is cursing so much? Did you predict what the source of this problem is? There is a great chance that the origin of our society cursing is uncensored music .Music should be censored because the profanity in it models children to use fowl language and goes against people’s moral values and religion.

Initially uncensored music that many listen to is getting to the younger generation .We all know that children are our future .What happens a majority of the time when a juvenile hears a new word ,they use the new word right? Eventually most children will be using profanity .The real question is, how will our society be in ten years from now.
Additionally music should be censored because hearing cursing in the public is disturbing .To my understanding music helps calm the nerves .When you are relaxing do you really want to hear explicit language. The outcome will be public life being less pleasant .Some people enjoy censored music just because it makes their everyday life a little more placid.
Ultimately, the largest con of having uncensored music is that it goes against beliefs .Music that is not censored may affect the way people interpret their beliefs ,and potentially will become a bad habit throughout that religion. Some people probably enjoy songs that swear, but maybe it's because they don't know realize how immoral using fowl language is. Imprecate music changes the way these people live life.

If someone were to ask me my opinion whether music should be censored or not ,I will respond by saying music that is not filtered is rapidly changing beliefs ,corrupting children ,and disturbing the peace .I don't see the purpose of having profanity in music anyway.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 95 comments.


Woolf SILVER said...
on May. 23 2014 at 5:38 pm
Woolf SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
6 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sure you can teach people to be beautiful, but don't you know that there is a force greater than you that teaches them to be gullible?" ~ Bob Dylan

Cursing should not be used all willy nilly. If you are trying to get a point across, and REALLY trying to get the person/people your targeting to shut up and listen, then you would need the shock value to make them say, "Oh wow, this guy means business. Let's see what he has to tell us." Harry Nilsson's song "Your Breaking My Heart, So F**k You", would not have the same affect on his ex-wife if he said "Your Breaking My Heart, Darn It". Swearing should be used in important parts of art. If you want squeaky clean boring art, go listen to Bieber or Cosgrove. Kids listening to swearing is the parents' responsibility, not the artist or the radio station's responsibility.

creepaderp said...
on May. 19 2014 at 1:51 pm
that was well seaid and perfectly explained

on Mar. 14 2014 at 2:39 pm
You're opinion is directly violating the first amendment. The artist has THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of words to chose from, and they chose those specific words. There is a meaning behind the word's. Maybe they are saying how they are tired of the world's garbage. Maybe they are showing they're pain. Will we ever know? No. All I know is when a song is censored it is the United States government violating the First Amendment.

on Mar. 11 2014 at 1:16 pm
RowdyPhilosopher BRONZE, North Attleboro, Massachusetts
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Life only makes sense backwards, but it must be lived forwards." -Soren Kierkegaard

I'm a Christian, and I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Cusswords do not "offend" me, depsite the fact that your argument sets me up to be offended. Think about it. Where did swear words come from? What constitutes a swear word being a swear word? The world is full of so many various languages, cultures, creeds, etc., that a swear word is not wrong in itself, it is only wrong by a societal standard. The word "bloody" here in America is not a cuss but it is in Britain. A swear word does not become a swear word because some congressman passes a bill saying "This is now a swear word"...swear words slowly work themselves into public consciousness. There's no way to actually determine what makes a "swearword" in a concrete sense.

LilJohnny said...
on Dec. 5 2013 at 7:35 am
I think that people should censory music because those silly ol' rappers got onions in their pants

MoDurban said...
on Nov. 7 2013 at 9:22 am
Music the international language of Love and Peace.  Now it’s the international language of profanity with videos of obscenity. How do you stop 3 and 4 year olds from listening to the radio? How do you stop them from repeating the profanities? How do you stop their parents from beating them for swearing or even beating them to death? Not impossible to happen if it has not happened already. These musicians say “Thank God for my career” but on Judgement day they will have to answers to God for the Rape of our ears and eyes, yes rape, check the dictionary, To take by force or force upon someone. There is so much violence, robberies, murder and rape because one has respect for anyone else and those who say profanity is ok are proof that they have no respect.

SarahM15 said...
on Oct. 15 2013 at 5:26 pm
Honestly, music has nothing to do with profanity in children. That's a sign of laziness or low discipline by the parents. Kids are taught what is and isn't appropriate language. Profanity isn't just in music, it's everywhere. There are tons of people who listen to music with foul language, yet a lot of those people don't swear themselves. It's a choice, and it depends on what rules and morals their parents taught them, not what type of music they listen to.

Scubasam12 said...
on Oct. 15 2013 at 3:38 pm
Music should not be censored! I hate hearing music on the radio and then every 5 seconds it's bleep her bleep I'm bleep bleep bleep I hate it

on Oct. 15 2013 at 3:26 pm
It should not be censored.

on Sep. 18 2013 at 3:38 pm
WriterBlocker15 BRONZE, Oronogo, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Saying you know the world by reading papers is like telling the time with only the second hand of a clock.

Hi, I'm a fellow journalist/ writer and deeply respect your opinion, but if you want to say these things, get some evidence behind you, or else it's just a post that should go on facebook or something.

Vaudeville said...
on Jul. 25 2013 at 9:18 pm
I don't think I've ever felt so strongly about a post on the Internet discussing music. However, I'll try and break it down as much as I can, rebutting your every point with clear-cut arguments. 
i) Music is supposed to calm people.
Lolnope. Sure, some genres are. But most of it, it's supposed to evoke emotions out of you.
For example, screamo is supposed to make you think about the lyrics, even if that makes you sad.
Punk is supposed to make you angry, because the artist is frustrated and just plain mad at society for being so effed up that the young band feels like they're being choked with an iron-clad fist.
A metal band can go in many ways, telling great legends of mighty heroes, slaying dragons and saving the world from all evil.
Or maybe they'd rather talk to you about how sometimes, the artist gets angry, and wants to let it all out, to unwind, to get you moving.
Maybe they want to talk about love and sex, because those are parts of life, too. Maybe they'd rather tell you a story about Death himself, giving him an appearance and even a voice.
See what I mean?
All of these are diferrent emotions. Joy, anger, pure rage, hate, love, pride, shame, frustration, and yes, even relaxation, they all have a place in our life. Music is supposed to reflect life.
ii) Swearing is immoral/ But think of the children!
In. Your. Opinion. In my opinion, I'm a person whose family swears all the time, and yet I'd never used it out of context or aimed at a person of respect (like, say, a teacher). I heard swearing from my mom, dad, uncles, aunts, grandparents, and I'm still not a mass murdering maniac. 
Honestly, this reads like lazy parents to me. Why not actually talk to them about why they should not throw these words and phrases around like confetti? 
Give children some credit, they're not as stupid as you think they are.
iii) Profanity isn't meant to be in music
Okay, so, maybe, you don't like it. That's fine, good for you. But why do you want to take it away from those who do like it? I really enjoy music that sounds personal.
Music that's filthy and disgusting, and reeks of blood and guts, alcohol, sex, soldiers depicted as human beings, and just absolutely bursting with emotion.
That music is going to have swearing in it, believe me.
And that's alright. 
When you're angry, you're angry. You're going to raise your voice, try to stand your ground. 
You're not going to let someone push you around like a child pushes its toys around. 
So yeah, you're going to swear. 
When you feel like the world has turned on you, and you just can't take any more hits, you're going to turn and drop a big fat f-bomb all the while flipping the Universe off, because that's how you start getting back on your feet.
When you hate something... do I really need to go on here?
Anyway, next!
iv) Religion
If you meant what I think you meant... I'm an atheist. So there. Your point is invalid. Otherwise, please elaborate more on your points so that they can be considered acutal points.
v) PUNCTUATION. YOU'RE DOING IT HORRIBLY WRONG.
vi) Everything Else: Final Thoughts.
Look. You might have a point. Opinions are opinions, but if you want to get us to see things your way, you're gonna need to ELABORATE. WHY do you believe the things you mentioned? Also, you should acknowledge that people are going to have other opinions. Besides that, there's also this little problem. I don't know your age, but your post reads like you're too young to understand Music. 
Music is not just there to make everything prettier.
It's there because it's a form of expression, a way for people to communicate without words, a way to connect with people you don't even know.
You go at a concert, there's thousands of strangers around you, and yet you get this little feeling that you're all friends. You can talk to them, you can headbang at the same time to the same tune, and that's a connection.
Music is more than just words on paper and notes.
It's a language, a very peculiar language, that you don't need to know how to speak to understand.
Music is the mirror to the soul, and thus, as the mirror reflects the image, music reflects the sentiment. 
And that is the true reason that music exists.

I apologise for the long post, but I needed to get this off my chest. Written at 4:19 am.
Goodnight, and have a nice day.
 

sunshine said...
on May. 30 2013 at 1:02 pm
well i disagree because its not the governments job to be in our business  and its not there job to act like a parent and say wut  we  can and cant listen to!

lkk4209 BRONZE said...
on May. 14 2013 at 3:58 pm
lkk4209 BRONZE, Somewhere, Massachusetts
4 articles 0 photos 56 comments

Favorite Quote:
"April Fool's Day is for amateurs. You never need an excuse to mess with people's heads."

"I may be lying in the gutter, but I'm staring up at the stars, honey."

I don't think I've ever disagreed with a Teen Ink article as strongly as I disagree with this piece. First off, the whole thing about "oh, kids might hear it!" It's pretty likely that kids hear their parents use profanity possibly more often than they hear it in music. Profanity is everywhere. Kids are going to hear it anyway. Censorship of music is futile. Then, your assumption that cursing is "disturbing" to the entire public, and that the only point of listening to music is to be calm. Um, have you ever heard of punk rock? That music was used specifically to vent frustration. People use music for all sorts of different reasons, not just to relax. You think music should be censored because it goes against your beliefs? Well, your beliefs don't apply to the entire world. Just because you don't agree with it, nobody should have access to it? Hm, that sounds a bit Joseph Stalin-esque to me. This article is incredibly near-sighted and I encourage you to develop a greater understanding of the issue.

Chadt21 said...
on Apr. 17 2013 at 3:56 pm
Actually the statement "Clean music hides reality" Is actually a good argument. It makes sence if you actually understand it.

TruthTeller said...
on Mar. 21 2013 at 5:12 pm
First of all, the statement "clean music hides reality" is not a good arguement. The whole point of censoring foul language is to change the reality the next generation will grow up in. Also, in America we have a religous and moral heritage. Regardless of your personal beliefs, we need to try and respect this. Curse words are angry and destructive. It's no wonder reality is such a "slap in the face."

Savi said...
on Jan. 29 2013 at 8:06 am
Really good point!

wandaluverr said...
on Sep. 22 2012 at 9:30 am
I don't think that music should be sensored because it's so obnoxious to hear beeping in the middle of a song. Also, kids are going to swear due to music or not. Just about everyone I know swears (well besides me) and it's not because they hear it in music, it's because they hear their parents swear so they do it too. Besides, young people were already swearing because young people put swears in their music. Plus, like I said before, listening to beeping in songs is SOOOOOO annoying. PS I don't even really listen to music with swears in it....most stuff from the 60s & 70s doesn't swear unless it's live.

on Sep. 2 2012 at 9:13 am
ChickenLegHouse BRONZE, Brighton, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 44 comments
I happen to listen to music where they swear alot. But as long as they don't use it in a gramaticly correct way it doesn't bother me. Because it doesn't mean anything, exept emotion. I also haven't cussed sence I was six years old and didn't know what it ment, so I don't think it's going to curupt me. 

on Aug. 23 2012 at 10:38 am
MadamMercy BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia
2 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
my motto is to keep moving

i like it better when they dont censor music because i like when they express how they feel by using cusswords they dont neccsarily hav to they just do.  

on Jun. 25 2012 at 10:47 am
Clean music hides reality and makes it sound like a paridice when its far from one that is why I beleive that we should not clean up music because as a kid you grow up thinking the world is awsome and nice then bammm reality slaps you in the face and I dont want that to happen to my kids.