Why Music Should be Censored | Teen Ink

Why Music Should be Censored

By 4801478736 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
4801478736 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida

Have you ever pondered the thought of why our society is cursing so much? Did you predict what the source of this problem is? There is a great chance that the origin of our society cursing is uncensored music .Music should be censored because the profanity in it models children to use fowl language and goes against people’s moral values and religion.

Initially uncensored music that many listen to is getting to the younger generation .We all know that children are our future .What happens a majority of the time when a juvenile hears a new word ,they use the new word right? Eventually most children will be using profanity .The real question is, how will our society be in ten years from now.
Additionally music should be censored because hearing cursing in the public is disturbing .To my understanding music helps calm the nerves .When you are relaxing do you really want to hear explicit language. The outcome will be public life being less pleasant .Some people enjoy censored music just because it makes their everyday life a little more placid.
Ultimately, the largest con of having uncensored music is that it goes against beliefs .Music that is not censored may affect the way people interpret their beliefs ,and potentially will become a bad habit throughout that religion. Some people probably enjoy songs that swear, but maybe it's because they don't know realize how immoral using fowl language is. Imprecate music changes the way these people live life.

If someone were to ask me my opinion whether music should be censored or not ,I will respond by saying music that is not filtered is rapidly changing beliefs ,corrupting children ,and disturbing the peace .I don't see the purpose of having profanity in music anyway.

ZeeBYoung BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

Don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. :)

I respectfully disagree. The profanity actually calms my nerves because it says all the things I can't say out loud.

beachychick BRONZE, Grass Valley, California

Perfection is not doing everything perfectly all the time, perfection is being able to look in the mirror and say at you tried everything you could- you've given it your all, you've done everything you can to make yourself better. That is perfection

Maybe, just maybe, could it be the other way around?

Musicians are catering to the people who will buy their cds. Teenagers swear. Artists learn to accomodate that. 

Just maybe. 

Philosophication GOLD, McKinney, Texas

"This above all: To thine own self be true."
William Shakespeare's Hamlet

"To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid."
Miscellaneous

I honestly believe that music is not the issue. I think that it is that fact that parents are letting their children watch, hear, and do things that are intended for more mature audiences. This starts a tradition. The father passes it to the son, who passes it to his son, and his son, etc. Censoring music will, in my opinion, be too little, too late.

rockyraccoon said...
rockyraccoon, Fort Wayne, Indiana

today tommorow next month next year all look remarkably gray.

I disagre most music i listen to has little swearing but a couple of days ago i was listening to a country song that had one or two curses asaid jokingly and they were bleeped wich kinda threw off the song also so long as curseing is banded teens will buy uncensored and fouler thus promoteing the emminems and such sigers who have entire songs bleeped

hallie523 said...
hallie523, Seattle, Washington
These days, a lot of songs use profanity to be cooler and attract a teenage audience. Racial slurs are horrible. That stuff is corrupting and unnecessary. But often swearing is used for self-expession of anger or agressiveness, or speaking out against repression and things you believe are wrong. It can be used to forward a message and because of freedom of speech it really can't be banned.

I disagree. We should trust the artists not to swear in their music or at least give fair warning if they do; and moreover, we should trust the parents of young children to pay attention to the music they hear. It's as simple as that.

writefromtheheart BRONZE, Knoxville, Tennessee

Stand up for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.

It is not the responsibility of artists to teach children what is appropriate to say in public and what is not. That's the parent's job. The artists' responsibility is to produce music to people will listen to.

JB4EVER said...
JB4EVER, Waterboro, Maine

nut up or shut up

peter u can shut up because if u dont like music with swears than go listen to doras song because we both now that she sing for kids. if ur not man enought to listen to it than dont listen to it...... and eminem and lil wayne are effin awesome. if you listen to there song it has a true meaning other than to curse. so go listen to kid music like the wheels on the bus or dora and no eminem and lil wanye.

Although I do not agree with your opinoin, this essay is poorly written. The sentences are simple and don't flow; you used wrong words such as 'fowl', instead of 'foul' and you are missing a lot of puncuation. If you are going to make a point please put some effort into it. Also many of your supporting details are weak and frankly don't make sense. Also censorship shouldn't be allowed, a solution you ask? Don't like it? Don't listen to it. Also, a song could have a few bad words but could be about something positive (anti-war songs, being sucessful in life) and another song can be describing something completely innappropriate but gets away with it due to the lack of bad words.

peter said...
You "SHUT UPP," lalak. I totaly agree with kagc411. I listen to a song that sounds freaking awesome and love it until it swears. When someone swears it shows how truly dumb they are and that they can't use any part of their small empty brain to come up with anything else to say. So when it's in music how do you think that makes the artist look? It makes Eminem and Lil' Wayne look like flipping idiots!

peter said...
You "SHUT UPP," lalak. I totaly agree with kagc411. I listen to a song that souds freaking awesome and love it until it swears. When someone swears it shows how truly dumb they are and that they can't use any part of their small empty brain to come up with anything else to say. So when it's in music how do you think that makes the artist look? It makes Eminem and Lil' Wayne look like flipping idiots.

KayKay said...

EXACTLY:)

WritingSpasms, Los Angeles, California

"Devils run when a good man goes to war."
- River Song from Doctor Who (Ep. A Good Man Goes to War)

Censoring music goes against freedom of speech. A music artist who offends a group of people because of his profanity or whatever, loses that group forever. That's all there is to it.

crissy56 said...
you shouldn't just blame music theres also society and other things! music is not at fault here if you dont want to hear cussing than just ignore it or dont listen to it

dude, some peaceful music has cursing to so...... keep ur comments 2 urself iight

simplyfeel SILVER, Peachtree City, Georgia

"If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibility of life is destroyed. "
Christopher McCandless "Into the Wild"

Censoring music is absurd.  If you do not want to listen to music that does not curse, you have to options:
1. Don't listen to the music
2. Get the censored version of the song
There really is not point in all out censoring music. It is censored on the radio. There are "uncensored" and "censored" versions of songs on itunes and online. People can choose.
The music we listen to does not cause cursing. That only happens to the overly-impressionable. And people who are that easily swayed to curse are usually pretty you. Age ten and under. AT those ages, most kids aren't interested in the hardcore stuff. If they are, parents have enough power over their children at the time to take away that music from them.
I don't know what places play uncensored versions of songs. Usually all stores and public establishments have rather neutral music on. No cursing, too urban, or too country. So I don't know what public places you are talking about that play uncensored versions of songs
If uncensored music offends a person's religion, they simply should not listen to it. Or listen to the censored version. There really isn't a problem.

eorr said...
Its not being banned, it's censored, duh

LAB05 said...
music should NOT have to be banned... its just expressing how someone feels, what they think, and make a point.. swearing never hurt anyone..

blink182 said...
blink182, Litchfield, Michigan

if you really knew me you would be surprised.

music shouldnt be censored beacuse they are just expressing how they feel or what they think its not there fualt that people are curseing. music has a big impact on people and if it was censored life wouldnt be the same.

sotaboybmx said...
 if you dont like the swearing in music dont listen to that kind of music!!!! listen to your peaceful music okay?