Movies Based On Books: Which Came First? The Hit Flicks Or The Bestsellers? | Teen Ink

Movies Based On Books: Which Came First? The Hit Flicks Or The Bestsellers?

By WinDLovesFun BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico
WinDLovesFun BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

You've Just Been Dost Duped!

Will books become popular even if they are not hit movies? The answer is yes. One known fact is that books spike in popularity after they are made into featured films. Another fact is that books can become bestsellers even if they are not made into hit flicks. According to my reasearch, via the internet and my own survey, people still love to read bestsellers whether they hit the box office or not.

There is a large amount of box office winners that are based on books. The most recent ones that dance in the pop culture of today are Twilight, Harry Potter, and The Hunger Games. What do all of these books have in common? Almost every reader of these bestsellers read them after they became hit movies. A main reason for this is that people like to compare the book with the movie version of the book to see which one is better. The cycle is that some hit movies based on books will turn those books into bestsellers.

We have seen time and time again that a lot of bestsellers make the movies that are based on them into hit flicks. The most cherished books in this category are The Little Red Book and The Bible. Also, there are classics such as The Diary Anne Frank, The Lord Of The Rings and Think And Grow Rich. One of the reasons why these books, or other books, are on this list is because most of these bestsellers came into play before movies became an activity many people engaged in. Another reason might be that a lot of people are more intune with reading The Bible or The Little Red Book, because religion is more wide reaching than movies. In conclusion, some books are just read for the enjoyment of reading.

According to a survey, that I conducted, in which I asked 11 people the following question: Do you only read books if they are hit flicks? 9 people said no and 2 people said yes. Some of the replies from those who said no were, "I have read tons of books that are not even movies yet-" or "J.K. Rowling has lots of books published that I read of which many are not even hugely made movies!" The two people replying yes said, "Why not read The Fault In Our Stars before watching the movie?" and " I only read The Hunger Games because pretty much every one I know read the books after the movie became a hit flick." A final thought is that the survey shows how many more people agree than disagree about books only becoming bestsellers because they are made into hit flicks.

We can all agree that everybody likes to read books- movies or no movies. Why? Well, because books are read for because they are movies and are part of what's popular, while others are just plain favorites.

So , what do you think?

I hope everyone will enjoy this article! Opinions are VERY appreciated, so why don't you tell me what you think?