Dystopian Argument | Teen Ink

Dystopian Argument

February 5, 2019
By Anonymous

Have you ever wondered why dystopian literature has been coming more popular?Dystopian literature as became more popular because dystopian literature has became intriguing. Another reason why is because people think of topics that seem realistic but yet fictional. Because people think of the dystopian stories are kinda relevant to today’s society. Dystopian literature and today’s society are both controlled by people and power. In harrison Bergeron people are controlled by the united states and they wear these things called handicappers.


All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General.(vonnegut jr)(Harrison Bergeron) People are controlled in harrison bergeron by handicappers and the handicappers are made to keep everyone equal or at really low levels. In real life people are controlled by the united states government but we don't have handicappers and aren't all the same. We do have rules to live by and we have to follow.We have laws such as like “Criminal laws” like “gun control,child abuse,marijuana laws…”. People are controlled in the united states by the government and the “Criminal Laws” are made by the government to stop people from using marijuana illegally, or abusing their children. All teens don’t have a say in making the rules around them. Teens have no say in making rules in ten with a flag because the government has a rule that kids are given a flag when they are born and it has a number on it.


He grabbed a folder from the stack of papers and flipped it open.”Youre a six now!” johnnie nodded. ”hmm” Mr white said, flipping through pages. “ did you know that your boss had put in for a rate reduction?”(haines)(ten with a flag) Teens don’t have a say in making rules in ten with a flag because the government keeps the kids and other people in order by the numbers they were given when they were born. In real life people and kids have no say in rules being made such as the government making laws that a lot of teens have no say of the government making. Such as the government making it illegal for mexican without their green cards get over the border into the united states and/or people with green cards smuggling drugs over the border.


Kids have no say in making laws/rules because for one I don't think the government would allow that and 2 because if the kids had a say in making rules the world would not be very happy and when the government makes the rules they are more reliable rules. Technology is taking over and is doing everything for people.In the veldt technology is taking over and people in the story are getting lazy and technology is doing everything. They walked down the hall of their HappyLife Home, which had cost them thirty thousand dollars with everything included.


This house which clothed and fed and rocked them to sleep and played and sang and was good to them. Their approach was sensed by a hidden switch and the nursery light turned on when they came within ten feet of it. Similarly, behind them, in the halls, lights went on and off automatically as they left them behind.(bradbury)(The Veldt) Technology is taking over and doing everything because people are getting lazy and technology is becoming more advanced and now that technology is becoming more advanced a lot of people are quitting their jobs and not taking care of their kids or themselves they are having the technology clean their house and rock them to sleep etc. I think technology is getting more advanced in real life and doing everything.


Like the new vacuum that they made is called the roomba and it cleans your floors and carpet for you and you don't have to control it because it has sensors so when it gets close to an object it stops and turns around. Technology recognizes concentrated areas of dirt and provides additional cleaning in those spots, and the iRobot HOME App lets you clean and schedule conveniently from anywhere, at any time. Now compatible on devices with Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant.(Greiner)(Roomba website) Technology is taking over in real life because now that they have made the roomba that is advanced enough and I think technology is going to take over because now they are starting to not make gas vehicles and start to make electric vehicles that drive themselves. In conclusion dystopian stories can relate to real life and that is why they are becoming more popular because people can relate their lives to the dystopian stories. I think it is important because we can see how our society is changing in real life compared to the stories we've read. I also think it is important because dystopian literature has encouraged many ideas and crucial issues.


The author's comments:

I wrote this essay because I wanted to put my opinion on why teenagers a starting to like dystopian literature.