Since When Does Size Matter? | Teen Ink

Since When Does Size Matter?

By Sheridan PLATINUM, Spokane, Washington
Sheridan PLATINUM, Spokane, Washington

By the time you are done reading this you will have wasted 10 seconds of your life.

Summer vacation. A time for every teen to sit back, relax, and enjoy the pureness of the world without teachers. You may find some teens sitting at home playing video games, watching TV., trying to get all that smartness gunk out of their heads, but there are others who are out trying to soak up all the sun they can.

Girls are crowding into stores for the hottest bikinis, tankinis, and summer clothes. Short shorts, mini skirts, push up bras, and spaghetti straps are bought by the tons. Most girls are out on the beach every day trying to get some hot life guard’s attention. Boys stop and stare. Why? You may ask, well, every teenage girl is wearing a swimming suit that barely gives any room for imagination.

There is barely any beach or pool without teeny tiny little bikinis. This generation has shown more skin than any other. They feel that size matters. Show more, get more guys. Easy huh? Not so much. As the fabric used to make clothes decreases, the price increases. Little scraps of material are all that’s left of what used to be a one piece. Shorts that barely cover more than underwear are selling for loads of money. Now honestly, if your going to pay so much to cover so little than why bother? If you really want to show off what you have than why don’t you just go around naked? I doubt anyone would notice the difference.

Maybe I should bring to your attention that more and more woman are getting breast implants. What’s up with that? Yeah, they want em’ bigger. Bigger is best, right? The more you have, the more you can show, right? Wrong. Let me remind you that breasts aren’t just for showing off, the reason girls have them is so someday they’ll be able to nurse a baby. So why do we show them off with our itsy bitsy bikinis? Because someone decided that how big or small they were actually meant something. Meant you were more pretty, sexier.

So many people have been blinded by this belief. Celebrities pound this in our brains with every magazine we look at. When everyone around us is saying, “This is right! Biggest is best!” It’s hard to see anything else but that. Girls always want to be pretty, so when they see celebrities wearing barely any clothes and getting breast implants they think the only way they’ll be liked is if the do that. And so the cycle continues.

It seems to me that there are only two sizes of clothes for girls these days. Small and extra small. Making sizes to fit more than the super skinny girls seems non-existent. Can’t we all embrace that we all have different bodies? Do we have to be that perfect picture on the front of a magazine?

So ladies, take this into consideration next time your buying your summer bathing suit, do you really need to show off quite so much? To every one of you, you are perfect as you are and clothes, size, and styles should not make a difference no matter what other girls show or tell you.

gaga-fan28 said...
Doesn't wearing revealing clothing also mean that someone is confident in their own body? I think so. It's like saying "I am completely proud of who I am, so I don't have to cover it up." I feel like if an overweight girl were to show more skin, she'd be praised for being more secure, but not a super-skinny girl. As for the sizes of clothing you mentioned, I actually don't think it's harder for overweight girls to find clothing to fit them than it is for smaller girls to find clothing that fits them. It's just about finding the right store. And while there is a link between the media and girls' attitudes on things, seeing a celebrity on the cover of a magazine will not, for most of the time, make a girl go out and get breast implants (you can't even get those when you're a minor!)

sunnyhunny PLATINUM, Litchfield, New Hampshire

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Ghandi

Wow, this really made me think.  I agree with you on several points.  Great job.  Very well-written and articulate.

Loveandboxing PLATINUM, Levvitwon, Pennsylvania

Eat, Sleep, Sing (by me)
Writing is an art few people master it. -me

i lik my bikini! lol but i agree. .

i still lik my bikni. . .

Howler GOLD said...
Howler GOLD, Cerritos, California

"Life is not abut the number of breaths you take but about the moments that take your breath away"

I understand everything that your saying! omg, check out my forums pls!

SaddleShoeGal PLATINUM, Granite Canyon, Wyoming

"History is the key to the future"--Melinda Emerson
"Never tell the truth to those unworthy of it"--Mark Twain

I feel exactly the same way! I don't see the point in it, I don't know why anyone would dress like that.

windblossom said...
windblossom, Hyderabad, Other

"The caterpillar does all the hard work, but the butterfly gets all the publicity"

Pretty sensible! :) Great article!!

MomRocks18 said...
Great to know there are sensible girls of the world still left. Please don't let the doctored pics and flics offered by the media and mag rags sway you into the belief that we are valued and measured only by our outward beauty and size of this or that. Be trendy and cute but not trashy and flashy..Let em love you for you and your brains and not some fictional social norm that says you need to be HOT or you NOT> Love and respect yourself and teach the people in your life what matters most is on the inside. YOur outside is just perfect as you are.

Hay_Wire PLATINUM, Independence, Missouri
niiice, i hear it! yeah.. and i stuggle terribly with that myself, so.. yeah. :)