E-Bikes: The Future of Urban Transport | Teen Ink

E-Bikes: The Future of Urban Transport

By EthanAC GOLD, Jericho, New York
EthanAC GOLD, Jericho, New York

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure. - Colin Powell

New York City subways are crowded, dirty, and often late. Our buses are slow and inefficient. Yet, even so, according to the Metropolitan Transport Authority, these forms of public transportation still cost you $1524 yearly with twelve months of an unlimited monthly pass. In addition, subways and buses often cannot bring you to their ultimate destination. You must walk to your workplaces or homes after getting off at the nearest subway or bus station. Luckily, there is a simple solution already prevalent in Europe and Asia: e-bikes. 

E-Bikes are bicycles with battery-powered motors that engage when the rider starts pedaling. You can set their motors to provide more or less torque to decrease or increase the energy you have to exert pedaling your bike. There are already hundreds of Citi Bike locations throughout NYC. You can rent these Citi Bikes with unlimited bike rentals throughout NYC for $169 yearly compared with $1398 yearly for subways with an unlimited yearly pass. If you do not want to rent a bike, an alternative would be to buy an e-bike outright such as the Wing Bike Freedom, for a one-time investment of $1298, which is still cheaper than an unlimited yearly subway pass. These bikes provide a few major benefits. 

E-bikes are much more portable than any form of public transportation. Bike rentals throughout NYC such as Citi Bikes allow people to pick up a bike anywhere and start riding. The benefits of buying an e-bike are that many are foldable, meaning you can just fold up your bike and put it in your backpack. In fact, these bikes are much more accessible than the subway or buses that require people to walk to each other.

In addition, subway or bus waits are no more! You can leave anytime you want and not fear missing your subway or bus to work. Usually, public transportation routes are crowded and delayed, making it difficult to get to work on time and causing massive headaches for many people. E-bikes allow you to always get to work on time as most bike lanes are generally less crowded than public transport.

Even better, e-bikes provide daily exercise for those who do not have time to go to the gym. Exercising releases endorphins, which make you happy and relaxed. According to WebMD, biking is a great cardio workout that burns four hundred calories per hour! If you get tired, you can increase the torque of the bike and let the motor help you alleviate the burden of propelling it. In fact, some e-bikes even have fun throttles that let you ride it like it is a motorcycle!

Finally, e-bikes are an enjoyable commute because you can see the beautiful landscape and the daily activities of those around you rather than sitting down in the dim, dirty, and crowded underground subways.

However, if you are living in an area with fluctuating weather patterns, the e-bike may not be your best mode of transportation. During snow and rain, you could be putting yourself in danger by riding with little visibility and bad traction. In addition, bad weather yields bad traffic conditions which makes it harder to arrive at work on time. Also, e-bikes may not be your best option if you have a long commute (more than 5 miles) which is exacerbated if you work long hours and lack the energy to ride your bike to and from work.

Even still, e-bikes are the best option for most commuters due to their portability and good exercise. You will not be disappointed in your decision to rent or buy an e-bike. Although e-bikes are not popular enough to replace public transportation, for the time being, they will become an increasingly popular alternative option, the future of urban transport.