Sexting: Know the Facts | Teen Ink

Sexting: Know the Facts MAG

September 15, 2009
By Katie Bachman BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Katie Bachman BRONZE, Auburn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

High-tech has created a new low. The term “sexting” is a combination of the words sex and texting, and refers to the practice of sending sexually ­explicit photos electronically, mainly by cell phone. The incidents of sexting have dramatically increased in the past few years; 20 percent of teens said they had sent a sexting message, according to a 2008 study commissioned by the National ­Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy and Cosmogirl.com. Though many in our generation are taking part, few understand the serious consequences of this irresponsible fad.

Recent advances in technology have revolutionized the way we interact socially. Cell phones and e-mail have changed the way we communicate but have led to dangerous and ­destructive behavior. While some teens may think sexting is fun or harmless, this new craze can have devastating consequences. When a photo or video is sent to another person, privacy is lost forever. The content can be broadcast to anyone. The original sender has no control once he or she presses “send.”

The consequences of sexting can be ­severe, ranging from embarrassment to ­imprisonment or worse. Explicit photos or videos forwarded from person to person can cause embarrassment for the original sender. Many teens don’t realize that once they hit “send,” control of who else sees that compromising photo is now completely up to the recipient. You may think you know your friend, boyfriend, or girlfriend, but can you trust them forever?

Many young people who thought sexting was a harmless game ended up having their lives destroyed. In one tragic incident, Jesse Logan, an 18-year-old from Ohio, was mercilessly humiliated after explicit photos she had sexted to a boyfriend ended up circulating among her peers. She eventually killed herself.

Imagine being convicted of the crime of child pornography and serving five year’s probation. You are rejected by colleges, lose your friends, and have to move because your home is too close to a school. You’re unable to get a job, and you have to register as a sex ­offender until you are 43. That’s exactly what happened to Phillip Alpert, a Florida 18-year-old. He ruined his life by circulating nude pictures of his girlfriend (which she had sent him), by texting them to his friends, her friends, and her family. The legal problem: she was only 16 and a minor; distributing explicit photos of a minor constitutes child pornography. The real problem: like many teenagers, he did not understand the long-term consequences of his actions.

Sexting may seem like harmless fun, but teens should think twice before hitting the “send” button. There is no turning back once a message is sent.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 186 comments.


on Feb. 3 2010 at 2:42 pm
XxKathy1111xX SILVER, N/a, New York
7 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
follow me long enough and you'll end up on a field hockey field.

i love your article. even though i dont hate the people who do it i, myself, wouldn't do it. And i wouldn't recommend it for anyone either. thanks for showing people the harm tho.

gdhgf said...
on Feb. 2 2010 at 10:16 am
{__}

\/

scooby said...
on Feb. 2 2010 at 10:15 am
you should never be sextin because if you do you can be hurting peoples feeling and if you do that to a close friend they will probaly not be your freind anymore...... so do not start sexting and hurting peoples feeling {__}

\ / muffin

(<-_->) kirdby

hugs4ev said...
on Feb. 2 2010 at 10:11 am
i like this arcical0 bc i am doing a report on sexting and it should not be done because it is a crime in some ways

on Jan. 31 2010 at 5:30 pm
robrobrobin11 BRONZE, Concord, New Hampshire
4 articles 2 photos 25 comments
Very nice writing. You sound very informed and you don't dance around the subject. It is a very current issue and we've had big time problems with it in our school. There are so many things about fellow teens, I just can't understand... :-p

on Jan. 30 2010 at 10:39 am
Adkinlau BRONZE, Wichita Falls, Texas
1 article 0 photos 4 comments
I agree. I think that people should have more common sense then to send things like this and not expect that there is a possability that they could stab you in the back.

on Jan. 29 2010 at 2:16 pm
Anne Powdris SILVER, --, New Jersey
6 articles 0 photos 35 comments
Wouldn't you say an essay is a piece of writing?

I would! :)

ABH36 said...
on Jan. 28 2010 at 8:54 pm
Thanks so much fo dis article! im doing a project in health on sxting and this was great hepl :)

Momrocks18 said...
on Jan. 24 2010 at 2:38 am
Great article! Clicking send will always result in personal stress if your out there flashing your trash or parts to impress someone with your hotness. You don't have to give it all out there freely to make a person want or love you. Respect your own worth and leave that for the personal side of life..between two - live. Hold your body as a gift and only share that with someone who respects your enough to protect that moment in time. You don't need to be

exposed to be liked, loved, wanted, or envied. Leave somethings to the imagination and that will draw them back to you more. Keep it classy.

on Jan. 23 2010 at 12:46 pm
WritingAngel20 BRONZE, Ardmore, Alabama
3 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In order to suceed, your desire for success must be greater than your fear of failure" -Bill Cosby

I have heard of sexting on one of my favorite TV shows Degrassi and the girl who sent it to her boyfriend was nearly humiliated to death when he sent the text message to his friend. This writer is good and really will make someone think twice about sexting. Keep up the good work!

on Jan. 8 2010 at 9:16 pm
acousticalex BRONZE, Garland, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all." Oscar Wilde

I don't often say this about anything, but it is pretty much almost always a bad idea to send someone a nude photo. I can't tell you how many times friends and I have laughed over one of us receiving an inappropriate picture, and sadly it's usually from someone we hardly know! It's a teenage cry for attention and acceptance and to be told they are sexy like they see on television. Just a walking cliche, and a terrible idea, unless you completely trust the person you send it to, and you never really can.

on Jan. 7 2010 at 10:34 am
dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois
20 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
play the music, turn it up loud, dance around, and drown out reality

basically hes saying you prolly never got a sexting picture......they r bad

on Jan. 7 2010 at 3:52 am
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other
4 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
You should try everything in life, except incest and barn-dancing.

Love this guy.

on Dec. 26 2009 at 3:38 pm
WriterA.M. PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado
40 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Ignore corruption and achieve perfection"- me

Sexting may seem like harmless fun? Only for the people who do it I guess. Any thinking person should know that it is immoral in every way imaginable. Goodness, what has our world come to?

Andrnick said...
on Dec. 16 2009 at 7:30 pm
Sexting is a freakin' stupid thing that teens think that they could show their personal appearance and have a baby once their a young age.

It'll never stop and our new mellinum if greatly involved in these actions.

It's true but I wouldn't say this is a piece of writing; I'd say it's a essay but people consume the consequences at last and that'll decrease the amount.

-Thanks for this article but I'm trying to get my article posted on here

on Dec. 16 2009 at 9:01 am
-alice- PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado
21 articles 0 photos 81 comments

Favorite Quote:
I care very little if I am judged by you or any other human court; indeed I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. -1 Corinthians 4:3-4

Wow! This is kind of scary. I'll never do this! Thanks for writing this. It was a great article

on Dec. 16 2009 at 1:18 am
Writedancelove&live GOLD, Redding, California
12 articles 2 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
"Karen: If you're from Africa why are you white? Gretchen: Omg Karen, you can't just ask people why they're white."

This is a very well written article, and extremely important today. I participate in Youth/Peer court and we had a case about sexting. It was awhile ago, but from what I remember, they were only about 14 years old.

on Nov. 20 2009 at 8:01 pm
YOLANDRi SILVER, New York, New York
5 articles 0 photos 2 comments
Amazing article. I wrote a short piece about sexting for New Youth Connections. It was mostly a personal piece. Your article is great. Kudos!

Schubster said...
on Nov. 13 2009 at 9:54 pm
?I don't get the post under me, but ok....otherwise, fantastic piece of work. teens are truly out of their minds (more than usual) and skimpy nowadays...

on Oct. 22 2009 at 12:58 pm
well i aqree with this artical. Nd mynetshepher. but then aqain teenaqers will do what they want reqardles. nd parents are not always around to protect them. but other that then that i aqree with this artical. sextinq is qoin to happen even if we try to prevent it.