Texting | Teen Ink

Texting

Texting.

Being in the technology era everyone has cell phones. Which makes senses if you are on the move and need to call someone without using a pay phone or something. Except now its all anyone cares about. Also hardly anyone uses their cell phones for talking, they use it for texting.

Texting a quick easy way to talk to your friends right? That’s all great. But now people text more then they talk to that person. Instead of spelling out words they use “text talk” For example ( lol, omg, gtg, ppl, brb, u, ur.) Its ridiculous. Before you know it no one is going to know how to spell. Text talk is effecting how people talk and speak. Most writing teens write have at least some sort of text talk in it. If you see someone slouched in a chair looking down they are probably texting.

Its gotten so bad people are text dating. Most of the time its with people they don’t even know. They hardly see each other, just text. When they do see each other they don’t have anything to say, because they said all through texting. What happened to calling the person or writing letters?

I’m not saying texting is worst thing ever! Just people are doing to much of it. It seems that’s all they do. I’m just asking to stop and reconsider what your doing. Go out and do something, read a book, take a walk, have an adventure. Next time you want to talk to your “texting” boyfriend why don’t you call him. I think everyone needs to take a break from texting for a while and in the meantime learn how to spell correctly.

teacuppoetry GOLD, Lancashire, Other

The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes- Sherlock Holmes

I disagree, I think that yes although people use text language, they know what language is appropiate in certain situations, also it is good we use text language because we are exploring all kinds of the English Language 

Melanie said...
There are some things I agree with and some things that I don’t. I understand that everyone thinks 'teens' are all bad and just sit there being nonsocial and a lazy bum. I am not like that I know lots of other people who are not this way. The people that text in class are no different than the ones that used to pass notes to each other. Cell phones are scapegoats and I do not like how they blame all of the problems that teens and kids have because of cell phone use.

Chacharoo BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas

"I love you."

Agreed. It seems like that is the only way all teens reach each other. I'm 16 and I still don't have a cellphone- oh my gosh, I must be an idiot!
This is a good article, good point! Good point.

Barkus said...
Interesting article!  Technology certainly does a lot to make the world smaller - to bring people from all over the world closer.  However, as you point out, it also changes the nature of relationships!  We must be careful to interact not just in a digital environment but with the real life world that you can see... hear... touch... smell and see!  You are right, we need some balance.....