Label Me | Teen Ink

Label Me

By missxniss BRONZE, East Meadow, New York
missxniss BRONZE, East Meadow, New York

Anything that involves the movie Anchorman.

For years now, namebrands have become more and more popular - as well as expensive. In my high school, I see several students in the hallways with extremely high-priced clothing, jewelry, etc. I'll be honest, it disgusts me. Our parents/guardians have hard-working jobs and most of the things you get are coming from your parents/guardians salary. Is that fair? When you become their age, would you like it if your children spent YOUR money? Because that's how it is. Why do we need all these expensive things? Girls of all ages walk around in UGGS. At Mandee's or Target, they have boots EXACTLY like UGGS, but we choose not to buy them, because it doesn't say the namebrand stamped on the bottom/back of the boots. I'll admit, I bought my first pair of UGGS last year with my own money that I EARNED from babysitting; and I still wear them even though they have some wear-and-tear on them. Let's face it, society is very much so based on namebrand materials. Some people just cannot afford these expensive things. Since when are shirts $24.99? Why are hoodies $45.00? Do jeans really need to be priced at $50.00? Is it fair? Of course not. Will there ever be a decrease in prices? Will there be an increase? Who knows? Unfortunately, people nowadays have to cope with this type of peer pressure to look good. And personally, I'm blind-sided to really... why?

When I went into middle school three years ago, my life did a 360 turn and I was completely and utterly stunned by why. As my years go on, I am trying to keep up with all the new fashion styles, etc. Apparently, it's not working too well. For most families, money does not grow on trees, so I basically "allowed" myself to "lower" my standards, so to say, and now I shop like anyone else, but rather than buying the most expensive things, I head for the clearance rack first. It's ridiculous to spend that much money on something. Let me know how you feel, please e-Mail me at missxniss@aim.com , I would like to know how you feel about my article.

Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire

Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

I totally agree! Namebrands are not that important. I care about how stuff looks, not about the brand. That's why I shop at TJMaxx and Kohl's. I don't understand why someone would pay $30 for a plain t-shirt just because it is a namebrand.

Amber1994 GOLD said...
Amber1994 GOLD, Roanoke, Illinois
THANK YOU!! my school is hugeee on namebrands and guess what i have never bought my name brand stuff from the stores, i pay less than a 3rd of the price! how you ask? garage sales and 2nd hand stores, i can still "fit in" and have the "popular clothes" but honestly i prefer an old sweatshirt or tee.

-please check out my poems and comment!!-

niss said...
to cattt-lynn|KORRUPTED :

in a way, yes, no one wants to feel alone. but we shouldn't have to BUY our way into feeling good. we shouldn't have to "fit in", 'cos then that means those people aren't true friends to you. you should be able to wear whatever you want, and have friends who don't care about what's on the outside, but what's really on the inside (sorry for being cheesy, just my opinion)

toxic.monkey said...
i so agree! there's the phrase "don't suffer from a label" which describes how i feel about this

I completely understand your point of view, but however, I can also see the other.

Name brand clothing is just yet another way of our human nature coming out. Humans seek acceptance, and our life's want is just for acceptance from others.

Name brand clothing is a way to be accepted. We see what others are wearing and we just want to fit in. We buy the $100 jeans and the $70 sweatshirts, sometimes because they look good, but subconciously, we seek these things so we fit in, and when we fit in, we feel good.

Nobody wants to be alone, do they?

Niss said...
I'm glad someone feels the same way.

Sunny said...
Hey- I grew up on generics and store brands- with clothes, food and everthing else you can think of. Tags are Tags! I'm blind to brand.