Home vs. Host: Where’s My Haven? Dilemma of International Students in the US | Teen Ink

Home vs. Host: Where’s My Haven? Dilemma of International Students in the US

By vivianyxdu BRONZE, San Jose, California
vivianyxdu BRONZE, San Jose, California

“I don’t belong here!” Twice a month, I would burst into tears while calling my mom back home in China. Pursuing education away from family and in an unfamiliar environment, I feel so lonely, but I’m not alone—thousands of international students in this “Land of Opportunity” are wondering if what they eventually gain from their overseas experience will be worth the costs. American education isn’t always an ideal choice. We’re left in a bind. 

In the 2020-2021 academic year, 914,095 international students enrolled in America’s higher education system, with over half from East and South Asia. Coming from countries where education is rather test-oriented and hardly personalized, international students often find themselves baffled in free discussions common in American classrooms. Not accustomed to sharing opinions but focusing on the objective subject materials, these newcomers have been labeled as “shy” or “reserved” due to a lack of self-expression. While staying silent doesn’t mean a low level of engagement, Asian international students report that one microaggression they experience is being “rendered invisible.” Moreover, it’s not a trivial task for young teens and adults to adjust their long-standing paradigms and lifestyles in an alien country by themselves, pushed into independence. Monetarily, foreign students generally undertake higher tuition fees (with minimal financial aid) than domestic applicants to get the same education. 

But why are people still willing to come? The truth is, it’s easy to be blinded by the beautiful illusion of the American Dream, which suggests that success will come with hard work. However, even hard work can mean something different to foreign students than their American schoolmates. Even when perfect test scores are achieved after hours of study, the non-natives can still be questioned for being short of leadership and critical thinking skills—things they don’t grow up learning. The Dream pops like a bubble when international students realize their strengths don’t fit the American standard of excellence. 

Nevertheless, every time I regret coming to the US, I ask myself: Do I not appreciate the freedom I’ve enjoyed at an American high school at all? Besides, discrepancies in the curriculums, teaching styles, and entrance processes make it almost impossible to re-enter my native education system from which I’ve been completely disjointed. 

To go back or not to go back, that is a question. What’s even worse, the underlying uncertainty behind American immigration laws has left us stranded near the “beacon*” that is supposed to guide and enlighten us. Would you stay stuck, head back home, or search for a haven somewhere else? I recommend thinking twice before deciding on your next step toward higher education. Put other countries on your list as well. Check which places intersect good opportunities and cultural fit. 

* “Beacon” refers to Former President George W. Bush’s remark: “we're the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world.”

Works Cited

Fischer, Karin, and Sasha Aslanian. “The U.S. Attracts Fewer International Students, Loses Billions In Revenue. Here's Why.” National Public Radio, 9 Aug. 2021, www.npr.org/2021/08/09/1025193562/the-u-s-attracts-fewer-international-students-loses-billions-in-revenue-heres-wh. Accessed 10 Apr. 2022.

Loo, Bryce. “International Students and Experiences with Race in the United States.” World Education Services, 26 Mar. 2019, wenr.wes.org/2019/03/international-students-and-experiences-with-race-in-the-united-states. Accessed 10 Apr. 2022.

Open Doors. Institute of International Education, Inc., opendoorsdata.org/. Accessed 10 Apr. 2022.

Pérez-Peña, Richard. “Universities Try a Cultural Bridge to Lure Foreign Students.” The New York Times. 11 Mar. 2014.

Specia, Megan, and Maria Abi-Habib. “‘Maybe I Shouldn’t Have Come’: U.S. Visa Changes Leave Students in Limbo.” The New York Times. 9 July 2020.

An international high schooler myself, I've frequently imagined what my teenage life could be like if I didn't choose to come to the US. Would it be better or worse? I have no clue, and there doesn't seem to be a simple answer. Studying abroad is a high-stakes experience due to a variety of reasons. In examining these reasons, I would like to urge prospective US international students--especially those from a completely different education system--to give it another round of consideration about where they want to pursue future education.