While obtaining the blessings of the society, we should also give back to the society with love | Teen Ink

While obtaining the blessings of the society, we should also give back to the society with love

By HarleyLiu SILVER, Irvine, California
HarleyLiu SILVER, Irvine, California

I still remember the first time I entered the campus, feeling lost in an unfamiliar environment. It is the faculty of the school that calms me down and helped me in various ways, supporting me as I adjusted to this new place. The energetic atmosphere in the classrooms and the friendly ambiance throughout the school made me quickly fall in love with the school. When I heard about the opportunity to become a shadow leader, I hesitated about whether to apply at first because I was not sure if I could take this spot. However, when I learned that there were many international students involved, it reminded me of the initial unfamiliarity and helplessness I experienced when I first arrived. If I hadn't received help during that time, I wouldn't have been able to adapt as well as I have now. So, I went to complete the application and fortunately became one of the shadow leaders, I was honored to take a middle schooler with me for a day.

I can still remember the moment I received the details of my first shadow during an engaging AP World History class. On the shadow day, after we got to know each other, I could sense a mix of nervousness and excitement in his eyes. I eagerly introduced myself and guided him through each teacher's class. I introduced my new friend to everyone in every class and fearlessly expressed my thoughts during the class. During lunchtime, he noticed my ability to communicate effectively with each teacher and freely express my ideas, and he cautiously asked me how I managed to do it. I patiently shared the stories of my interactions with each teacher, emphasizing the warmth they showed me and their generous way of offering praise. Seeing him attentively listening to me, my resolve to be a shadow leader grew stronger.

As President Kennedy once said, "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." The same principle applies to both the nation and the school. While benefiting from the blessings provided by the school's faculty and environment, we must also find ways to gain confidence, a sense of belonging, and give back.

Real life experience of myself as a new international student first got into the school and surrounded with love. By a occasional chance, I signed up the shadow leader which I could use my love to help others let them easier to adapt and accept.