Uniforms: The New Ghost Busters | Teen Ink

Uniforms: The New Ghost Busters

By Writing4Pub DIAMOND, Colts Neck, New Jersey
Writing4Pub DIAMOND, Colts Neck, New Jersey

Always desire to learn something useful.
Sophocles

Middle school is a place full of pointless drama, bullying, and ups and downs. Many of the students find out the hard way who their true friends are and who aren’t. There are many other problems involved in this time, and middle school isn’t always fun and what we want it to be. Some of the bad parts and the problems of the middle school can be avoided with one simple solution; school uniforms. I am all for school uniforms for a number of reasons.
My first reason is that it will help prevent bullying and drama. School uniforms will act like ghost busters, but instead of stopping ghosts, they will stop problems with drama and bullying. If there is school uniforms, no one can judge you or bully you because of the clothes you are wearing since they are wearing the same exact thing. Also, no one can be mean to you since you have the same clothes as everyone now. School uniforms will benefit everyone. No one can be left out or treated differently because they aren’t wearing the “right” clothes. Some people might say that school uniforms will decrease someone’s individuality, but individuality at times causes more bullying and judgment. Unfortunately in the 21st century, people judge the book by its cover, and form their opinion during their first glance at you. If you are wearing black, people think you are Goth. Or if you dress weird, you’re a nerd. You can get a backpack that expresses your style, and at dances you can wear whatever you want. School uniforms will stop the pointless bullying and drama that sometimes get in the way of why you really are at middle school.

Another reason why I am all for school uniforms is that you can make friends based on who they are, not what they wear. Some students don’t want to become friends with someone based on the way they dress. Now students will make friends on their personality and who the person really is and what they like. Also, school uniforms
will help break the social class barrier, and money won’t be a factor when choosing whom to be friends with. This will help students so they won’t have to find out the hard way who their friends really are, and who are actually friends with them for who they are.

Another reason why I think school uniforms are a good thing is, students should spend more time on schoolwork then deciding what they should wear tomorrow. Every day, advertisements, commercials, and even TV shows tell us we should always wear the newest and best clothes we can with designer labels. In television shows, when the students go to school, they all look perfect, and their hair is perfectly straight or blown out, without a single trace of frizz. They look like they just stepped out of Teen Vogue and they don’t have the tiniest imperfection. This puts the pressure on us to try to look perfect at school in order to be popular or to have friends. In reality, no one is perfect! School uniforms will eliminate the stress of trying to look perfect in the trendiest clothes. School uniforms will help us use some of the energy that we use trying to look flawless and put that energy towards something that is important like grades or family! School uniforms will help the students spend less time on appearances and more on those more important things in life.

Middle school is so stressful sometimes. If you ask students, most of them would do anything to make life a little easier! School uniforms is one simple way to help the students eliminate some of the unnecessary trouble that is caused by what clothes to wear, and the time that is spent on trying to achieve the impossible goal of looking perfect.

Amanda4646 said...
wow i never thought about this side of the argument good job of thinking outside of the box

OneBlackGirl BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

Love the difference!

Though I feel your article is pretty well written, I have to disagree with you. I'm a freshman and have been wearing uniform since sixth grade. Your stated reasons for supporting uniforms are cutting down on bullying, breaking the social class barrier, and having less to worry about clothes wise.

People are going to find something to bully you about if they want to. Maybe you wear the same colors everyday. Maybe your pants don't fit right. It's gonna happen. I, for one, would rather be in clothes I feel comfy in while I'm being bullied.

Uniform DOES NOT break social class barriers. At least not in my experience. There are companies that make uniform clothes with very slight changes that somehow look better. And they cost more. People can tell. And if you have to rewear some shirts or pants because you can't afford five pants and shirts and clothes for outside of school, they know.

Finally, the uniform just causes more problems when getting ready. Especially with my uniform, which is very strict. Before, if you forget to get your clothes out the night before, throw anything on and out the door. But with uniform, everything has to be examined. Does it have pockets? Better have a collar. Is that the right shade of green. Do these socks have colored heels. I've been suspended from school for days because I wasn't paying attention and had a pink heel on one of my socks. It wasn't even showing and even I didn't know about it.

Sophocles

OOPS!  Just realized I spelled WHETHER incorrectly!  I was in such a rush to congratulate you on your work I didn't proof read! ;-)

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

I agree with this article. When I was in elementry school, I went to a school that had uniforms and there weren't many trends and stuff and I like it a lot better than now, when I always feel like I have to wear the perfect clothes. But back then I hated it because I wanted to wear what I wanted to wear! I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. 

Im que va a llevar a mi camioneta con el caramelo

Sophocles

I am very proud of your honest thoughts and understand where you're coming from.  I definitely think that although there are two sides to this "debate" you really thought about as many arguments "against" your thought as possible, which is what every good writer should do!  Weather people agree with you or not, this is well done!

Miss Sull

Kels said...

Uniforms are an unneccasary addition to a middle schooler's life.

I speak from experience, I wore a uniform for a private school from Kindergarten to Fifth: navy slacks, a white polo shirt for girls (baby blue for boys), green plaid jumper and or skirt.  Twasn't cute.

Middle school is a time for students to experiment with their provast opinions, attitudes and styles while still getting to play on a playground without getting hooped and hollered at by cranky eighty-year-olds. 

Uniforms are expspensive, a blow on individualistic style and are BORING.  I hated wearing the same thing day in and day out - I couldn't dress to flatter my shape, or wear what I thought pretty - just what my stirct principal thought appropriate.

Give this generation some breathing space.  Let them be kids for a while - MINUS uniforms.