Bullying in School | Teen Ink

Bullying in School

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.

‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.

Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?

When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?

If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.

Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.

Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.

This was originally an article I wrote for my school newsletter because I was sick of how much bullying was going on at my school. The newsletter just came out and so far nothing has changed; I really wish it would.

RAMEZ said...
TRUE BULLYING IS NOT GOOD  IF A TEACHER IS BULLLIG STUDENTS THEY SHOULD BE FIRED 

kgio said...
Thank you so much for writng this article it is refreshing to read an article from a teen with a powerful opinion like yours it is really helping me with my essay on bullying 

Very true, but what should I do whenever I'm bullied in school. None of my friends are brave enough to stand up for me. My best friend used to help me whenever I was bullied before but now she moved away. What should I do?

What if, The teachers are the one who  starts the bullying? The victims can't ask help to their teachers. And I observed that many students do not know what bullying Is.They just makes it Fun. And I observed also that the person who bullyed thier school friends just want to make they're friends and they do not know that the person that they bullyed was not happy in what they did.  

teenink.com said...
Dont loose hope.i love your newsletter.its motivating.

rebel14 said...
BULLYING NEEDS TO BE REDUCED AND TEACHERS SHOULD BE FIRED IF THEY ARE BULLYING STUDENTS

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

If I were you I would probably try to talk to the principal.  If they are involved in the bullying situation, go to the next level up, right up to the superintendent of your school division.  Students and TEACHERS bullying a student is completely unacceptable and something needs to be done about it.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Glad I could help. :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you for sharing your story.

What if your just laughing at a joke that somebody is saying in front of the class about that person??And if it's wrong how can i stop them from laughing??

What happen if my all my classmate including the teachers bullying the student? Who should I seek help to stop this bully case? I want to help my friend by asking higher authority to help but seem like the teachers cannot do anything about it. If you were me, what will you do?

Nice essay

gloria said...
thank u very much im doing an assay about bullying u help me alot again thank u

DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
Your welcome, I love all your work!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Very true!  However, I believe that for most school-aged children and teenagers, they get their first sample of bullying in school.  But thank you for bringing that point up.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

So true.  You do have to be careful with pranks because they can be taken the wrong way even if it was meant in good fun.  The best policy is not to pull pranks except on really good friends.  Even then, you have to ask yourself: How would I feel if my friend did this to me?

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Yes, I've definitely encountered that problem as well.  They don't see how much they're hurting other people; they think it's all fun and games because they're laughing.  Do they stop to think if their victim is laughing?  No.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks! :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

I'm glad I could help! :)