Bullying in School | Teen Ink

Bullying in School

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.

‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.

Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?

When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?

If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.

Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.

Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.

This was originally an article I wrote for my school newsletter because I was sick of how much bullying was going on at my school. The newsletter just came out and so far nothing has changed; I really wish it would.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

It's really the only way I can fight back because the teachers won't do anything.  Yeah, I'm still bullied a bit.

SweetPolarBearHugs PLATINUM, New York, New York

"All conflict in literature is, in its simplest form, a struggle between good and evil." - unknown author.
"All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream." - Edgar Allan Poe

Your welcome:) and thats awfull! :(  I'm glad your fighting back with this article:)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  I was bullied myself, so I definitely know how it feels.

"All that we see or seem

This is really inspiring, It tells the truth of how kids get bullied and want to end their lifes and how we should stop it, great job

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  I hope it works too.  :)

Eno_Bladez GOLD, Williamsport, Pennsylvania

it'll be okay, if it's not okay it's not over.

i wish more kids would 'treat others they way you want to be treated' i hope this works for your school

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for the comment, Poetic_Mind!  I hope it works out for my school too.  But I honestly doubt it will.

Poetic_Mind PLATINUM, West Monroe, New York

"A woman's heart should be so lost in God, a man needs to seek him in order to find her."
"It is never the end, Just a chance for a new beginning."

I really liked this, especially because you were doing it to take a stand for your school and for those being hurt in it. I alwayys love interest pieces from people who WANT to do something about this stuff. In my school, we have problems and problem kids but we also have an outstanding number of kids who will help another because they dont care about being cool enough to not help. I hope it all works out for your school and more people step-up :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks, samyukta.  I wouldn't call school joyous, but that's just my opinion. :)

Samyukta BRONZE, Nagpur, Other

"Imagination is the power you can't even imagine"

"Bring in ideas and treat them royally, for one of them might be the king."

It is a nice effort to bring forth the true situations that scar the joyous times of of school life. :) 

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for the critique, AspiringWriter!

Faerie said...
Faerie, Lala, Illinois

Fantastic article! I truly loved it. It clearly showed your view on the argument, which is exactly what a good writer does. I'm glad you wrote something about bullying. :)

I found a few grammatical errors, and few use of repetitive . . . umm, ideas. But, I think that's about it. Everything else seems perfect.

I loved how you used important examples, which the reader can relate to. That builds up on your well-written article. Great job! :)

Also, I totally agree with you. Bullying needs to seriously end.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks, Alon_Freevoice!  I'm sorry about what happened at your previous school.  Yeah, I wish stuff like that wouldn't happen because even if a child is a "special child", they have feelings and deserve to be treated like a human being.

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

I remember when I was still in my previous school. We had a classmate who is a "special child", if you know what I mean. And before you even convince them out of bullying, you will get tired because they will never stop. So what I did is condone it because some of my classmates and I bully each other.

But something worse happened to the point of physical injury like he was pushed... That was when the teachers and school administrations knew what was happening. And they all were asking and kind of blaming me for what happened because I was the class president.

Good job, by the way...

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks so much, DoubleN!  Especially since my thread is a free feedback thread. :)

Leena7395 SILVER, Spring Grove, Illinois

Be who you are because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.

This is so incredible! I completely agree with this article! Great job!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks, DemonXxXchild903!  :)  Bullying is everyone's problem, so everyone has to be part of the solution.  I hope this has changed some people's views on bullying.  But why do you feel guilty when you read this?

JustKeepRowin SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"Peace begins with a smile."-Mother Teresa

I feel all kinds of guilty reading this! but, that's the sign that this article is well-written.If I didn't know any better I would have thought a professional would have written it! Fantastic job!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks, Tink1350!  I appreciate the time you took to read all of my pieces of writing!

Tink1350 BRONZE, Medford, New York

"Worries are like weights and weights keep you down, so let go of your worries and fly,"

Good job! I totally agree