One Big Fat Lie | Teen Ink

One Big Fat Lie

By Tori Casadaban BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
Tori Casadaban BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

Lie: noun, verb-[lahy]- a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood; something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture.

People have been lying to one another for many years. As much as one might hate to admit, they have lied to our parents, friends, brothers, sisters, grandparents, cousins, and the list goes on and on. The art of lying has been understood by some, butchered by some, and completely mastered by some. The lying technique has been passed down from generation to generation. As much as children are always told not to lie because lying is wrong, somehow the practice of lying gets around and soon enough children and teenagers everywhere are lying again.
The Good: The White Liars

Human nature is to tell little white lies to get out of work for a day, or avoid a major conflict with someone. White lies consist of: my cousin is getting married,”or“I have this thing I had planned to go to, it is really important or the ever so famous “Yes mom, I cleaned my room. Now can I go out?” All of these lies are everyday lines given to parents, bosses, teachers, and friends to get out of work or a family function or any number of activities. In society, people feel the need to lie because they do not want to hurt other people’s feelings, or they are too lazy to just get up and go to work like everyone else does. White lies may get people out of things occasionally, but watch out because sometimes what goes around comes around.
The Bad: The Flat Out Bad Liars

This type of lying is just horrible. This technique makes teachers wonder why the do what they do meaning when they ask students, “Johnny, why do you not have your homework completed and with you in class today?” And the response is, “Uh, my dog ate it.” Or “Well my notebook was abducted by aliens last night and I just could not stop them.” These kinds of lies just make people laugh. The creativeness in these types of lies is remarkable, but to wonder if the people telling the lie actually believe that they can get away with such an out-of-this-world, literally, story. Teenagers often get grouped into this category of liars because of the elaborate tales we make up to try to not get punished or yelled at by parents of teachers or even administrators. These bad lies although might on the rare occasion work, for the most part, they should be kept to ourselves.
The Ugly: The Compulsive Liars

Compulsive liars have to lie; lying is like a part of their life. They do not even realize that whatever they just said is a complete lie, they just make up stories and say them. Compulsive liars are very difficult to read and figure out that if what they just said was true of not. This type of liar almost needs to lie to survive everyday. Lies such as, “My father is in the FBI and can have you in prison in no time.” Well if one knows for a fact that this obviously is not true because the father is a mail carrier on the block that one lives on, then of coarse that person is lying. When people constantly lie about big issues and major events there is a serious problem. Compulsive lying is most defiantly the worst type of lying.

On the whole, lying is wrong and should not be taught to young children or accepted by adults or teenagers. By allowing people to get away with lies, they are basically being told that they can do whatever the want and face no consequences for their actions. If the whole world were to be compulsive liars, who would be able to believe anyone and who would be the ones telling the truth, no one could ever find out. If the world were full of bad liars, all people would be considered very imaginative, but not in a good way at all. Finally, if all people told little white lies everyday, the lies would just build up and build up until no one was going to work or family functions or cleaning their rooms ever. In a nutshell lying is incorrect and should not be encouraged or customary in society today.