Gay Marriage: Time for a Change | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage: Time for a Change

'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal'' These are the words written in the Declaration of Independence and the belief that America was founded on. Of course it's obvious that equality is not the standard that our country has always abided by in the past or the ideal that it finds itself in now. Many groups including women and African Americans have fought for equal rights in our nation's history and Gay Americans now find themselves in that same struggle.

Proposition 8 (which overturned the ruling of four State Supreme Court justices and limited marriage in California to between a man and a woman) passed with a 52.2% majority last November. Religious conservatives were the force behind this unjust and unconstitutional proposition. One of the main arguments behind their fight against gay marriage is that such a situation would go against the traditional definition of marriage and conflict with biblical teachings.

The definition of marriage has changed many times over the course of history, just look inside the Bible itself. Religious conservatives often point to Genesis, where it specifies that God created Adam and Eve. However, as we have learned so many times in Theology class, historical context is extremely important when interpreting scripture. Genesis was written by a people for whom polygamy and slavery were normal, yet our society has clearly denounced these practices as social travesties. Messages in the Bible have taken on new meaning through the passage of time, in every new age its teachings are interpreted in a different social climate. It's important to remember that the things that have not changed are the teachings of love, kindness, and tolerance.

Besides, even if religious conservatives deny this truth their argument is still flawed. There is a separation between church and state in America. The purpose of the constitution is to preserve the liberties of citizens, not the freedom granted by a certain religion. The laws of this country do not have to abide by Christian beliefs, just the principles expressed in the constitution. It is by this authority that four State Supreme Court justices of California overruled proposition 22 (passed in 2000 that denied same-sex couples the right to marry), a move that infuriated religious conservatives and caused the creation of proposition 8.

Acceptance is the mark of progress, as this nation has developed it has become a haven for those that would have experienced persecution for their beliefs elsewhere. The legalization of same-sex marriage would be a testament to the loyalty of America to its promise of hope and freedom.

. said...
Dear Togood13 I don't know what you mean by "the God I serve" but I am wiccan so I believe in more than one god/goddess and the bible is stupid if "God" cant accept a person for who they are then why did he "create" people. I also do not agree that "God" created men, woman, animals, water, land, and everything else we have on Earth, I believe it all started with a big bang.

. said...
Yes it does take a man and a woman to create a baby but what happens if there are children out there in the world who are not wanted by anybody but two men or two women think about it and get back to me

RightWingExtremist BRONZE, Riverton, Utah

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

Marriage is not a civil right.

Chloe123 said...
1. I don't think it was necessary to bring the argument that there is no religion into this discussion, but while we are on the subject, science most definitely has not "proved wrong so many times". Science exists so people no longer have to rely on religion to explain the world. 2. The Bible says lying with another man is an abomination. It also says that touching a dead pig carcass, working on the Sabbath, wearing clothes made of two different fabrics, planting two different crops next to each other, and eating shellfish is an abomination many of which are supposedly punishable by death. There is a reason we don't rely on the Bible to dictate our laws.  However, I'm glad you have reconsidered your opinion on this point. I always respect a person who is open-minded enough to distinguish right from wrong even if what they've been taught from birth instructed otherwise and in that way I respect you.

Chloe123 said...
I would simply like to present the argument that when Brown v. Board of Education was announced, desegregation of public schools was a wildly unpopular idea. However, that doesn't mean it should have been up to the people to decide what rights you could or could not take away from African Americans. Sometimes, the Court has to lead the charge on human rights and the people will come around afterwards. When Alexis de Tocqueville warned us against "tyranny of the majority" in a democracy, this was exactly what he was talking about. Even if 99.9 percent of the country believes African Americans should be slaves, that doesn't make it right and that doesn't mean we should uphold what the majority of the "the people" want.

mein said...
veery well writen and good form

ohmakemeover BRONZE, Centerville, Minnesota

"Touch comes before sight, before speech. It is the first language and the last, and it always tells the truth."- Margaret Atwood

I like how you did your research and used factual evidence but also put your own emotions and opinion into the argument.  Very believable and very passionate...and I happen to agree 100%.

ZeeBYoung BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

Don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. :)

Im sick of people thinking the Bible is a reason to not allow it. When it comes to legalizing gay marriage, your religion shouldnt be a deciding factor. Many people will try to argue that you have a freedom to practice religion, but in this case, you're using YOUR religion to dictate SOMEONE ELSES life, and thats not okay.

Sythan BRONZE said...
Sythan BRONZE, Livermore, California

"Do not fear to blister if you live a life in flame"

Based on a book that claims the world is only 6000 years old? Yeah, not that good of a source of information.

Leilantelope said...
Leilantelope, Westerville, Ohio

I wont berate you for your spelling, but I suggest you improve it so your argument can be taken more seriously.

your stance: Gay men should not be allowed to marry or adopt kids. (Lesbians are "cool", so can they get married and adopt kids?)

reason: a kid needs a mother and a father.

1) Plenty of children are raised without a father or without a mother. Should that be illegal too?

2) Studies show that kids raised by gay parents are... actually normal

3) If your argument is that a kid needs a mother and a father, then why should lesbians be able to adopt

4) Can gays and lesbians get married if they dont ahve kids, then?

Jasmine7 BRONZE, Cecil Lake, Other

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Maya Angelou

"Religious conservatives were the force behind this unjust and unconstitutional proposition." who cares who they are? anyone who cared about the issue voted. You wright as if they are a small minority of freaks, but obviously they are the majority of the people of California. You wright that it is unconstitutional, and that church and state are seperated- they may be so, but it's the people who vote, and if the people are influenced by the church, that's the way it is. The governent is of the People and for the People, and the people appear to be of the church, therefore, is there really any seperation?

greesamu said...
greesamu, Minnetonka, Minnesota
I am eager to hear a warrant for any of the ignorant claims your spewing. Was it your parents who fed you your ignorant beliefs, or someone else?

ZombieDanceWithMe SILVER, Rockford, Illinois

“To die is nothing; but it is terrible not to live”

-Victor Hugo

agreed. But regardless...

MiaMonster BRONZE, Los Alamos, New Mexico

"I often wonder if life is easier for other people, or they're just better at faking it." -Unknown

homophobes and politicians are never useful in the world. considering most homophobes are afraid of something they assume about instead of totally understand. OR are uncomfortable with their own sexuality. just sayin...

-Victor Hugo

first of all, learn how to spell. Second of all, sexism much? I understand that your entitled to your own views, but a man can raise a child just as well as a woman. Just because a man was not designed to cary a baby inside him does not mean that they can not care for a child any less...

Big D said...
i disagree with this whole post becuase im against gay marriage in a whole gay poeple shouldnt be allowed to get married neither adaopt kids and kid needs a mother and a father not to dads lesbiens are coool but not  gay guys

J. Rae said...

I once had similar veiws until I actually met a bi person. She's still a human with a personality and opinions. She once asked if she would go to hell for being who she was. I totally agree with her. Who are we to say that they are wrong to be who they were born to be?

And sailerc, I understand that you do not beleive there's a God, but at least respect that some of us do. 

sally said...
at article. This is well written and made me reconsider my views. Would like to see more from this writter.r

toogood2013 said...

You say there is no God? Well let me just tell you, science has proved wrong so many times! Just because your parents told you other wise does not matter. The God I serve has not let me down yet and has always been thereBible has been messed with, however science has proved that the Red Sea has been parted! Dont say I didnt warn you when the time comes and your dancing on a bed of hot coal!!!

tennisplayergirl GOLD, Arrington, Virginia

"He who will not risk cannot win." John Paul Jones

I am so sick of everyone thinking that there is a god! And if there was a god, don't you think that he'd accept everyone as they are (not including criminals, of course)? You are immature for believing in the bible too. A bunch of people just wrote it and changed it to fit their self-interest. People came up witha  god in the first place to explain all of nature's happenings, but now scientists have found out the truth.