Crime in Albania | Teen Ink

Crime in Albania

By BrahimSejdiu SILVER, Tirana, Other
BrahimSejdiu SILVER, Tirana, Other

It was about 9:30 P.M, my mom had just left yesterday to go to Dubai, it was just me and my

grandma at home. Four minutes passed and suddenly... “POW.” There was a moment of absolute

silence, until my grandma said, “Why are there fireworks this late?”  

I sat there and replied, “Grandma, I don't think that was a firework,”  

“What are you talking about?” She spoke.  

I immediately went and checked out the window; all I saw was pure blood, gunshots, and dead

bodies, I screamed, “Grandma it’s not fireworks, it was gunshots!” 

It turns out the next day in the news we found out what really happened. There was a

famous singer having a drink below our apartment, it was her, her husband, and two of her

bodyguards. They were sitting at the coffee shop where we usually go every day. The singer's

husband owed a lot of money to these Albanian mobsters, so they came and tried to kill them,

fortunately they did not get killed, but unfortunately the two-bodyguards protecting them got

killed. One with a bullet in his head, and the other one with a bullet to the chest. The weapons

were a pistol, and an assault rifle.  

Crime in Albania is unfortunately not exceedingly rare, it happens from time to time, but

this was more extreme than anything I have ever seen in my entire life. What bothers me more

is that these killers are not even caught yet, because they know half of the police in this country!

Most of these murders, and crimes revolve around one thing that is highly trafficked in Albania,

drugs.  

Unfortunately, the tourists see this dark side of Albania, and it can repel them away from

the country, because nobody wants to be in that kind of situation. This criminal act has given me

some time to reflect with myself, and it has also given me another perspective of viewing Albania

as a country. Albania is a good country overall, starting from the people, there are plenty of nice

people, who are friendly. The culture of hospitality is doing a good job of welcoming guests and

looking after tourists who are visiting the country.   

If you are a tourist trying to have a nice vacation, Albania is a good option. Starting from

the amazing cuisine, and food that they have, to the beautiful mountains and lakes, and the

welcoming people that make tourists feel like at home. Some iconic places of Albania, that

attracted the tourist are the blue eye, Skanderbeg square, and the capital Tirana. Starting from

the blue eye which represent the unbelievable nature if Albania. It has an amazing ice-cold see-

through lake, surrounded by bright green trees, and Mother Nature. Then if you go into the

capital things start to get more European in Albania. Starting with the food that you can find in

Tirana. Now of course as a tourist you would like to try Albania's finest food coming from its

cuisine, and Albania is not one to let down. Some amazing foods that tourists have loved in

Albania are Fergese tigani, Byrek which is a pastry with spinach and ricotta filling, and Trilece,

which is milk cake.  

From this experience, which I will never forget, I was shocked, but also learned to be more

cautious, aware and to be careful in life. Especially with other people.  If you are a tourist looking

for a nice vacation, consider Albania as a good option. There are plenty of attractions to the

place, like the food, nice weather, amazing places to visit, and a unique culture to explore. These

crimes don't seem to be affecting tourism, and there are good and bad people. So, if you want to

visit Albania, I say go for it.