Myspace: Do You Really Know Your “Friends?” | Teen Ink

Myspace: Do You Really Know Your “Friends?”

By amber_w_17 SILVER, Powell, Tennessee
amber_w_17 SILVER, Powell, Tennessee

All of us failed to match our dreams of perfection. So I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible.
~Willliam Faulkner~

When teenagers around the globe log onto the horrific world known as Myspace, they are putting themselves in a gross amount of danger. Most teens think if their profile is set to private noone besides their approved friends can view it; however, that is not always the case. If a very dedicated individual wanted to, and tried hard enough, they could find you. Everyday more pedophiles hunt for their next victim through Myspace. Anyone who knows how to use a computer can develop a false identity, due to developing technology. This escalating problem makes it harder to tell who those people sending “friend requests” really are.

In addition to pedophilia, online harassment amond adolescents is increasingly growing. Teenagers so not think before they press send because they feel it’s harmless or even a joke. When in reality, myspace bullying has caused tremendous damage among our nation’s teens. Suicide rates have even increased due to this site. People need to remember to stop and think before they type. Our society would be better off without myspace, or for that matter, any social networking site.

Some people argue myspace is harmless if you don’t communicate with anyone you do not know personally. That may be true, but doesn’t the amount of friends you have more important to people? Teens always love to have more friends than the next person. Moreover, teens who do add anybody and everybody, they don’t always come to the realization that the person might not be who they say they are. In conclusion, if you are going to continue using myspace or any other social networking site, be careful.

I have always had issues with social networking sites. I always thought they were the cool thing to have, but it's completely opposite than that. The world would be better off without them, as I previously stated.

Celair_Phoenix SILVER, Hue, Other

"All that glitters is not gold
Not all those who wanders are lost."

Convincing. I don't use myspace, I use facebook, but the two sites could harbor the same problems though with myspace you can edit your page more. You should extend this article to make it more convincing.