Parent Involvement vs. Learning From Mistakes | Teen Ink

Parent Involvement vs. Learning From Mistakes

By ChelseaKW GOLD, Hollister, California
ChelseaKW GOLD, Hollister, California

Sometimes people do not realize that they want to do well in school until they are in high school. Others are pushed by their parents and other authority figures to do well with no decision of their own. So, which is better? Should a child be able to choose what they want, or should parents force them to do well?
It all depends on the child and the parents. Parents are supposed to set an example for their children and teach them good study habits. However, children need to learn from their mistakes.
Finding a happy-medium is the key. It is important for parents to be as involved in their children’s lives and education as possible, but they need to give their children growing room as they progress.
Elementary school is a vital time to teach children good study habits. Though their grades may not matter as much as they do in high school, the lessons they learn are extremely important and will stay with them for the rest of their life.
Junior high can be viewed as a transition time, depending upon the confidence and learning abilities of the child. A parent should check up on their children, but they need to let them make mistakes and learn how to manage their time.
By high school, a student should be prepared to handle their own schedule with responsibility.
Parent involvement is extremely important in the earlier years of a child’s education. Letting go is just as important, though. The specifics all depend upon a child and their family, but the role that a parent plays in a child’s life and education can make or break their future schooling success. This is not definite, but the earlier years of school are learning years and children are very impressionable.
There is no correct answer as to which issues to help them with and which to let them do on their own, but learning is the key thing. This will help set them up for schooling later in life, and they can have confidence in their study skills.

Kathy said...
ChelseaKW hit it right on.  As a former elementary teacher I could only wish for hands-on parents. Bravo! 

Chuck said...
Excellent!  As a proud parent of my two kids, I found your article to be excellent!  Bravo!

ChelseaKW GOLD said...
ChelseaKW GOLD, Hollister, California
Hey there! Any constructive comments, both positive and negative, are appreciated! Thanks!