Land of the Rich and Home of the Closed- Minded | Teen Ink

Land of the Rich and Home of the Closed- Minded

By TARDISdriver PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado
TARDISdriver PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado

Land of the RIch and Home of the Closed- Minded

America- land of the free. Please. It's the land of the rich. Since when has there ever been anyone in charge of this country that didn't have copious amounts of money? I'll answer that for you. Never. And don't you dare say that the people who founded this country came with nothing and made their own way in the world. They came to the New World because they had the money to fund themselves. What they didn't have, they killed each other for, or killed Native Americans. They pillaged and killed to get what they wanted. So why- why, even back to the beginning of this country, would anyone care how it turned out. One of my favorite quotes says that once you've dug yourself a hole, the best way to get out is to stop digging. It doesn't seem like America has really figured that out yet. If we support the small parties, and get people to realize that there are people on the ballot with minimal funding, maybe the country can change, and I won't be so mad about it! But, because the Republicans and the Democrats have all the money and the funding, parties such as the Peace Party are never heard from. I mean to change that. Once there is someone in charge of this country that isn't extremely rich and actually has the same problems that us normal people face, and they understand that they have those problems. Once that is true, then I will be content with this country. To say nothing of the past, because that will never be changed. That will always be a scar left behind. At least we can fix things now, and stop just deciding between the lesser of two evils.

Of course, in my mind, the solution for these issues is to just listen to Imagine by John Lennon. I don't want you to just listen to it. I want you to hear the words that he is saying. A lot of the lines state that we have to cast down borders. This also goes with my religious beliefs. In my religion, we are taught that world peace is not only achievable, but inevitable. Also that this will come soon. Our country has become too divided with these parties. There are people that are such strong Republicans or Conservatives that they use Democrat or Liberal as an insult! And I also know that there is plenty of this going on on the other side as well. There is too much division and too much separation. Does anyone else remember something about a divided house? As much as you agree or disagree with a certain party's views, you may have to step outside yourself four a few minutes. Just try to look at it objectively. All these people want essentially the same thing. We all want to make this country great. So if we just cast off our doubts and dabble our toes in the water of unity, we may find that the lake actually feels quite nice, and pretty soon, we will be frolicking together in the melting pot.

The other concern is that parties with less funding receive less attention. Yes, that is logical, but then here's the solution. Set a budget for all parties so that no one party has any more money than the other. That way people won't just vote for one candidate because that is the only one they have heard of. Think about it this way. The New York Yankees are a very famous baseball team. They also have the highest payroll out of all thirty teams. That's why, when people immigrate from other countries, they cheer for the Yankees. Because that's the only team they've heard of! If the Arizona Diamondbacks had a higher payroll, more people would know about them. That's just the way the world works. Money equals power. The party that I would like to support, if I was able, is the Peace Party.

Peace Party supporters' main goal is to bring social change to the world. Sadly, we have fallen into a world where aggression is the answer. Here in America, our main solution is to blow something up if we don't agree with it. The Peace Party tries to provide alternatives. If we took a more peaceful approach, we wouldn't feel the need for war, and anger. Again, if you listen to Imagine by John Lennon, you will understand. Or another song by John Lennon, Give Peace a Chance. Stop worrying about the "isms" in life, and just live with your fellow man. Try going to your neighbor, who may be a Republican. You may be a Democrat. Maybe your neighbor on the other side is Independent. Who cares? Just talk to them. Say hello. Maybe you will see how similar your goals really are. That is a goal of the peace party. They are trying to be a liaison between the main parties. They want to end the aggression and anger that I already mentioned between the Democrats and the Republicans.

In conclusion, there are some very simple solutions to the problem of aggressive politics. We should all just ignore the barriers that we've put up and try to get along. We need to find some way to equalize the budget of the less well known parties. And finally, we need to get the word out about the parties that aren't Republican and Democrat. But honestly, if you are a supporter of one of the main parties, I'm not saying you're a bad person in any way. All that I am doing is sending my point across. I want you to give other people a chance to share their ideas before writing them off as wrong. If we all do this, we can change this country and get it out of the hole it has dug for itself.

This was just something I wrote for my English class. I thought it was fairly good, so I wanted to see what other people thought. Please don't flame, because yes, I'm kind of liberal. Yes, I'm kind of a hippy. If you don't like that, don't read it.

Thank you so much for commenting. I really appreciate it. I'm glad I've made it through to someone. Especially on this article I was unsure of how I would be received. But honestly, if my writing ruins people's image of me, that's just too bad because my writing is who I am. Did that make sense? Anyway, I'm rambling. Main point is- thanks for commenting and I'm glad you like my writing!

ZephyrPunk PLATINUM, Richmond, Ohio

"The color yellow does not belong in this universe." - me
"Neninem pecunia divitem fecit " - Seneca

Wow... Everyrthing I've always been trying to say all sitting there, in an easy to read form. Your writing is amazing dude. Never give up trying to change the world, because you're good at it.