What would you do? | Teen Ink

What would you do?

By Lane Grigg GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Lane Grigg GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

What if you witnessed a woman, repeatedly, getting stabbed outside your apartment? Would you attempt to help her, tell others around you, or call 911? This is a situation that could possibly happen around you, and that’s when you have to make a choice. Are you going to sit around and let time elapse before getting help, or immediately try to do something about the crime you have witnessed?

A woman named Catherine Genovese, was stalked and stabbed outside her domicile in Queens. Many of her neighbors heard her cries, and saw this sporadic crime being taking place, but no one even tried to obviate the man who attacked her. Going over this situation in my head, it angers me; people, were clearly lax neighbors who didn’t care enough to help. If the neighbors didn’t want to have to deal with this case, they could have at least attempted to say something to someone who was willing to help. Sitting there day after day, replaying the lurid details of the murdered woman in your head, would make anyone regret there choice. There are meticulous people in the world, who do have good hearts, and will go to great lengths to help someone out. As we can see though, there are people in this world, (Catherine Genovese‘s) neighbors,) who would literally be too scared; they would make a comment to the criminal, trying to get him/her to stop.

In the end, we all have to realize we live in a world with good and bad people. We have a choice to make the right decisions in life. Don’t make the same mistake that Catherine Genovese’s neighbors did and doing nothing.