Take a Look in the Mirror | Teen Ink

Take a Look in the Mirror

May 8, 2013
By KerryG BRONZE, Albany, New York
KerryG BRONZE, Albany, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Take a Look in The mirror










Do you ever think about your future? Do you ever think about not being able to live your full life? Many people in America are faced with this problem of obesity, which can have many effects on people’s life, and not being able to live their life to the fullest.


More than one third of U.S. adults are obese. That is a lot of the population and it is growing in kids too. Kids usually take after their parents because their parents are responsible of them for the first eighteen years of their lives. That’s many years for them to get into bad eating habits that their parents went by and it’s hard to get out of them and start eating healthy.


Some people think that there is nothing wrong with being overweight but it does have many risk factors to it also. You’re at risk of getting diabetes, high cholesterol, cancer, heart disease and other serious diseases that could cut your life short. This is why people need to think about what they’re eating instead of just driving to a fast food restaurant


Obesity costs America about 147 billion dollars each year. That’s about 1,723 dollars per person. Could you afford that? Well if you don’t want to pay all that money there is one solution and that is eating healthy and exercising.


I know, eating healthy isn’t easy to do after always eating junk food but instead of sitting on the couch with a bag of chips go outside for a walk and replace that bag of chips with carrots or an apple. Every kid should be active for 60 minutes outside everyday. People usually just eat what’s easiest for them and most the time that’s a drive through at a fast food restaurant. Next time you go to a fast-food restaurant think to yourself does my body really need this?

Obesity is becoming a bigger and bigger problem and we all need to do something about it! So help a friend or go to the gym and stop eating that junk food. If we all help we can do it. America will be a better place!