I Believe | Teen Ink

I Believe

November 4, 2013
By Anonymous

A Slightly Hairy Situation
I believe in hair, all kinds of it. I have always changed my hair more than the average person. I also believe in statements made silently. My preferred method of silent statements is to change my hair to whatever suits my mood at the time. Which in turn means I change it at least once a year. One of my more recent changes was a blonde Mohawk, which was not well received on the family front. My friends and I however quite enjoyed the change.
There had recently been rumors that I was a lesbian floating around school. Which is fine, I wasn’t offended, except for the fact that it simply was not true. Coming home from my hair cut my mom scoffed at me very displeased. So naturally I just ignored it, since my mom and I don’t agree about style. I liked my new hair and that was all that mattered. Later on that night the rumors of my being a lesbian were brought up, which is when things turned awry. It ended up being quite the debate in which my mom kept saying “Why do you think people are saying these things about you? Because you have this dramatically short haircut.” She even said, “If you had long blonde hair people wouldn’t think these things of you.” I was furious, not because she didn’t like my hair, but because she had the audacity (along with apparently many other people) to judge me, and my sexuality, based on such a trivial thing as a hair cut.

Personally I know more lesbians with long hair than I do short. But what does it matter? My sexuality or other people’s sexuality is not and should not ever be defined by such superficial aspects of themselves. And although it was never my intention, my hair ended up being my statement to the world. I can do whatever I want with my body, and what I do should not define my sexuality or better yet my personality. I believe in hair. It does not define me and it never will, but shows my belief towards unsupported judgments.