An Optimistic View of Bullying | Teen Ink

An Optimistic View of Bullying

By Nitesh_Kosuru BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Nitesh_Kosuru BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

The former British politician Winston Churchill said that optimists see an opportunity in every difficulty. It’s just what they do.
I consider myself an optimist.

I can’t help it. I expect the best from people.
So when I see or hear about another case of bullying in schools, I view it as a positive experience for all involved.

Schools discourage bullying, but why? Don’t schools tell students they should freely express themselves? Isn’t that what bullying is all about? Aren’t bullies just speaking their minds, and isn’t it often said that if we keep our thoughts to ourselves for too long, our heads will explode? We don’t want bullies’ heads to explode.

Bullying benefits everybody involved. Bullies struggle with their own insecurities and make themselves feel better by humiliating other students. Bullies voice their opinions, as well as the opinions of the silent majority. They have the courage to say what most people are thinking. They often act as the voice of the student body. Spectators idolize bullies, resulting in bullies’ gaining popularity, which every kid in school strives for. If a bully is happy, why can’t we be happy for him or her?
Also, the victims of bullying should consider themselves lucky. Often, there are good reasons for a student to be victimized, their appearance, for instance. So can’t the victim see the insults as constructive criticism? If the victim decides to change their image because of what a bully taunted them for, everybody benefits. The bully just helps the victim be appealing to others.
Bullying also enhances education. Bullying often leads to the teachers paying special attention to the bullies. Bullies can learn more with one-on-one sessions with the teacher or, if they’re lucky, maybe even the principal!
The best case scenario, however, is when bullies are suspended. Although this might disrupt the education of the bully, it provides a better education for the rest of the students in class. Suspension leads to less people in class, which makes it easier for the teacher because the teacher has fewer to instruct, and the students feel they can receive extra attention in a smaller class.

Another benefit of bullying is in the psychological sense. The victims often reach the lowest point in their lives or they hit “rock bottom.” They think, “It’s not like my life can get worse than this, right?” So everything the victims do after that can only make them feel better about themselves. The victims of bullying are stronger after they have been bullied, and isn’t that what everybody wants? To become a stronger human being. People often say, “Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” This quote shows me that what a bully says can only give a person “thicker” skin, and they become numb to other criticism put on them later in life.

Bullying benefits all parties involved. People should not condemn bullying; they should encourage it.