Loss of innocence -" I'm not scared" | Teen Ink

Loss of innocence -" I'm not scared"

April 22, 2014
By Claudiaa3981 BRONZE, Dublin, Other
Claudiaa3981 BRONZE, Dublin, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Loss of innocence- “I’m not scared”

The loss of innocence is a major theme in “I’m not scared”. The understanding I obtained about the loss of innocence in the film “I’m not scared” directed by Gabriele Salvatores, is that people often gain knowledge about their world that causes them to lose their innocence. The main character in the film, Michele Amitrano, is a ten year old innocent, naïve boy. He lives in a tiny, isolated village called Acqua Travers in a remote part of Southern Italy in 1973. He is unaware that the adults in his village have committed a terrible, devious crime because they are so desperate to get money.
At the beginning of the film, Michele and his group of friends are playfully racing across wheat fields. Michele’s sister Maria falls and breaks her glasses which results in Michele losing the race and paying the forfeit. However the leader of the group, Skull, chooses a girl Barbera to pay the forfeit instead. He instructs her to expose herself to the boys instead. She is so enraged and displeased she looks around her group of friends to seek for support. No one in the group says anything and she begins to reluctantly unbutton her trousers. However Michele can’t tolerate this and intervenes, agreeing he will pay the forfeit. He is shown to have a sensitivity to injustice and the exploitation of power as he prevents her from doing a dare that would cost her innocence. This lessens his own knowledge of innocence too.
Maria left her glasses behind and Michele cycles back to retrieve it back to her. While he is searching, he accidentally discovers a hole in the ground covered with a sheet of metal. He raises it and sees a part of a bare foot. Michele panics after he sees Fillipo and crashes his bike. He can’t comprehend what he has seen and has “sad thoughts” as a result. The camera shots and music used in the film emphasise that this is a key moment in Michele’s loss of innocence.
Michele’s knowledge about the kidnapping increases as the film progresses and as it does his innocence lessens. He shows the burning curiosity of a child and his decision to return back to the farmhouse has repercussions for his innocence. When he returns he gains more
knowledge about the involvement of his own family- he finds a pot from his house while he was searching for clean water. When he brings Fillipo bread, he is forced to go down into the hole to retrieve it. But by descending into the ground he is beginning to experience a little of what Fillipo experiences. This causes him to make more real and genuine human contact with the Kidnapped boy- “What’s your name?”. Once he gets to know Fillipo, he understands that he is a faultless child like him with various similarities- (same age, same class etc.)
He now realizes that his parents are part of whatever is happening. When he hears the adults arguing about the kidnapping and sees the news, he sees the face of a normal, happy boy on TV, which contrasts with the ghostly creature he has seen down in the ground. The close up shot on his eye emphasises how he is seeing things the way they really are and he is witnessing the harsh reality that Felice and Sergio are capable of violence: “We’ll cut off two ears”. He realizes all the facts of the crime. But even though he understands what has happened, he is unable to grasp the full consequences. He does not realize that Fillipo is in danger of being killed. Now he forced to face the harsh reality and as a result, his innocence is lost.
Michele’s innocence and lack of understanding is very evident in the way he confides in his friend, Salvatore. The way he describes things to Salvatore makes it sound like a story, but his friend still finds it upsetting- “You don’t like this secret?/ Not really”. Their childish play with the toy cars makes it clear that they are still naïve and innocent.
Michele’s next visit is a significant one, as they go outside. As they play in the wheat, rolling about and laughing, their innocence and naivety are evident. It is a critical key moment when Felice finds Michele in the hole. Felice’s aggressive behaviour shocks him. Michele is angry and hurt at being betrayed by his friend Salvatore. He now realizes he can’t trust anyone and faces the harsh realities of life become clear and overt which diminishes his innocence even more. He is then warned by his father with the use of threats if he dares to disobey him. But despite the threats and blackmail he still has to ask the question due to his ignorance-“Why did you put him in there? I don’t get it” Michele’s direct and honest emotional statement reminds Pino that what has been done is inexcusable. His innocence puts guilt on his father. Michele is burdened by knowledge and his play is interrupted by things that
represent danger he feels all around him. The storm on the way to the farmhouse matches the stormy emotions in Michele’s mind. Once Michele realizes that Fillipo’s life is definitely under threat, he knows he has to take action. Despite the shock of loss of innocence, he has to overcome his fear and take action. Michele is determined to save Fillipo despite the vicious pigs and the presence of Candela, nothing will stop him. He’s not scared. Once he arrives, he helps Fillipo to get over the gate and he forces him to run- “Don’t you understand they’re going to shoot you”. Even after Michele’s father, Pino, shoots his own son, the film ends with the repentant father clutching Michele and Michele reaching out to Fillipo smiling with joy.
In conclusion, Michele gradually gains knowledge and understanding about the nature of the village’s crime, he loses his innocent and childish view of the world. Even though Michele lost his childhood innocence in a painful and shocking way, he dealt with the awful knowledge he gained in a courageous way. He faced the harsh reality that confronted him and overcame his fears. He learns that a family isn’t always what it seems, that friendships can’t be trusted and that evil still exists.