Darfur Genocide | Teen Ink

Darfur Genocide

May 22, 2014
By burridge_e1988 BRONZE, Averill Park, New York
burridge_e1988 BRONZE, Averill Park, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Genocide is the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, and/or cultural group; that is what has been tragically occurring in Darfur, Sudan since 2003(www.unitedhumanrights.org). Arab tribesmen, called Janjaweed, are being supported by the government to kill and terrorize non-Arab villages, to reach a horrid goal of removing non-Arab farmers for a Pan-Arab state only (www.worldwithoutgenocide.org). Very few people know of this. More awareness around the world is needed. Something must be done to help the innocent people of Darfur.

To start with, men, women, and children are being murdered everyday simply because of their race. Any sensible person is able comprehend how insane and cruel this is. When people are in need, the common thing to do is help. Everyone helps strangers; in their own town, parks, cities, and more. Also, these Sudanese people are farmers trying to feed their skinny families in the tough economy, through farming. Alarmingly, the government is allowing these people to be “exterminated” like bugs, for not being Arabian (www.worldwithoutgenocide.org). If this were happening in America for the past 11 years, more citizens and countries, around the world, would be aware? So why do only a select few know of this genocide?

Most significantly, people know that if someone were to stumble and fall, they should help the person stand again. The people of Darfur, Sudan are falling rapidly and need help standing again. The United States had doubled the troops in Sudan, in 2004. The United Nations-African Union mission had also tried to take action; 26,000 troops were sent to protect civilians, in 2008. All attempts failed, even the attempt to arrest the president in 2009-2010(www.worldwithoutgenocide.org). Since then, little to no action has been taken. The people of Darfur have no one powerful and left to help them, and they need help for not only themselves but their children’s lives as well. All of our voices and actions together can be just as powerful as an army. People must take action to help the people in Darfur. Thousands, if not millions, of lives would be saved.

However, if the United States, or any country/nation, took action a war may be a possible outcome. Not just with Sudan but, China and Russia; two powerful countries, who are in partnership with Sudan. Most people are worried of the involvement in a war. First of all, many people do not care enough to worry, let alone know or understand a tragic event like so, because it is not our problem. Another country, another continent, we do not need to even lift a finger. It is easier for us to not do anything. Our country economically, politically, and socially will be safe and less effected if no one takes action.

Some may say history is repeating itself from WWII. The victims of the Sudan genocide need help. First, more awareness needs to be cast around the world. If your neighbor’s house was on fire and someone was trapped inside, you would try to get someone or even try yourself. No matter who or what they are. You would never just sit there and ignore the fire and not call the fire department. Why are we sitting around while these victim’s homes are burning along with slaughters. They are just as equal as we are, no matter where they are from. In the United States, our voices not only have the chance to be heard, but will be heard. The civilians in Darfur do not have voices anymore. They will not be heard. We need to be there voice.


The author's comments:
This is something I feel very strongly about. I would really like my voice to be heard; the civilians in Darfur have no one to help them. Nothing to help them. I really hope people learn about this and take action.