Great | Teen Ink

Great

By jackchase PLATINUM, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
jackchase PLATINUM, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

We're all day dreamers. We all fantasize about the things we may never even come close to achieving. We all imagine saving the girl, saving the world, being the World's First *blank* or to be written about in history books. To have our names uttered in giddy excitement. To have people smile when they remember us. To look up at the sky when they remember our names and nod to themselves, thinking "yeah, they did it right. They knew the secret." To have little kids aspire to be like us. To be envied, to be great. However, few people are truly great. Let's say Great in the modern world is defined as changing the world for the better. Now, how many people in the history of the human race have actually accomplished that denotation? Earth's past has seen a lot of human beings. From the start of the modern human race to now, approximately 107,602,707,791 people have lived. Of all those people, how many have actually changed the world for the betterment of mankind? My point is that if the majority of us have these fantasies of saving the world, why have only an unbelievably small percentage of us managed to assist the cause? I believe it is because people think they are special. No, not the special your mom said you were when you had no one to sit with in the fourth grade. I'm talking about Albert Einstein. Leonardo DaVinci. Martin Luther King Jr.. Everyone wants to believe they are special in the sense of being a genius or a philosopher. The people who accept the fact that everyone wants the same thing; that everyone has the same thoughts as they are falling asleep; and that everyone wants to be remembered a hundred years from now are the people who can change this world. If someone believes they are the sole saviour of our race and he/she alone can stop the evils of corruption, pollution, murder, and war, they will end up a failure. However, when people realize that we are all capable; that we all want save the day, they can be one of the magnificent few that are taught in history class. If you blindfold the fastest horse in the world, it will loose the race. However, if you allow a horse to look around; to see its fellow racers, it will always win. Certain names are burned into our names from the moment we can understand words. Those people took off their blindfolds. Those people accepted the fact that we are all Superman or Wonder Woman when we close our eyes. Out of 107,602,707,791 people, how many do you learn about in school? Out of 107,602,707,791 people, take off your blindfold, and be remembered. Be great.