Good Samaritan? | Teen Ink

Good Samaritan?

January 13, 2009
By Anonymous

How could a person who witnesses a murder not call the police? In the article, “38 Who Saw Murder Didn’t Call the Police” by Martin Gansberg, this is exactly what happens. Thirty-eight citizens of Queens, New York, witnessed the murder of Kitty Genovese and didn’t even call the police.

It is shocking that people are too afraid or lax to get involved in a situation like this. It’s not like they have to do anything rash to step up and say something. In the murder situation of the article they could have just called the police. The most they would have to do after that is testify in a court of law or talk with an officer. That’s not exactly how things went down that night. Witnesses sat in their domiciles. When questioned on the matter they said, “I didn’t want to get caught up in anything.”

What ever happened to being a good Samaritan? Lucky for people now, there is a Good Samaritan Law in place. Many people conjecture that it is needed. The law obviates the amount of criminals that get away with their crimes. Even though it is scary to stand against a criminal, people need to be there for each other.

It is easy to say, at any moment, that helping someone who is being robbed or murdered is easy. In a real situation, it’s not so easy. But, people need to get past that. Crimes are sporadic, so they can happen any time. People aren’t meticulous enough to be prepared for a situation at any time, but they should overcome their fears and help their fellow man.

In America, crimes happen everyday. Some are seen and some aren’t. For those that are, the criminal can be caught easily if someone would just stand up for them or contact police. Like stated in the movie The Boondock Saints, “… But, there is another kind of evil, that we should fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.”