'Alcohol Advertising and its Effects on Minors' | Teen Ink

'Alcohol Advertising and its Effects on Minors'

By Noah Levine BRONZE, Devon, Pennsylvania
Noah Levine BRONZE, Devon, Pennsylvania

For the latter portion of the 1900's most alcohol advertising on TV was banned. During this time period, the number of minors drinking alcohol declined. Several years ago the federal ban was lifted and spirits ads returned to television. Since then the number of minors drinking alcohol has grown (PBS, 2002). Alcohol advertising has a direct affect on the consumption of alcohol by minors.

A study conducted by the University of California Berkley shows that alcohol ads increase use, positive attitude, and consumption of alcohol in minors (camy.org, 2007). Congressman Wolfe from Virginia also has found that alcohol advertising increases 'drunk driving', suicide, and alcohol abuse in under-age individuals. (PBS, 2002) These sources both have come to the same conclusion, alcohol advertising affects its consumption in under-age individuals.

A survey completed in California and South Dakota schools found that teens that experience frequent alcohol advertising often begin consuming it in the next year or so. Several other studies have been executed with teens viewing alcohol ads in magazines or newspapers. These studies have shown similar results (camy.org, 2007). I recently surveyed my classmates and family members on this topic, 100 percent of them agreed that alcohol advertising does affect an under-age individual's decision to drink. These statistics are hard to ignore. They prove again that alcohol advertising has a direct affect on its consumption in minors.

From a psychological standpoint these ads should be banned forever because adolescence is a time of brain development where anything that provides a 'thrill', like alcohol, is an attraction. Getting rid of these ads would lessen the urges in under-age individuals to consume or abuse alcohol. (camy.org, 2007)

The companies who produce the ads say they target audiences well into adulthood by using older actors and airing commercials later at night. They dub it 'Responsible Advertising' (PBS, 2002). The truth is these companies well know that their ads are playing in front of minors. They even try to appeal to teens by using by using music, animals, and humor which according to several studies are all things that under-age individuals respond to in an advertisement (camy.org, 2007). Do these companies really believe that simply stating 'consume responsibly' and showing no visible consumption of alcohol really disguises they're actual intentions?

After all these studies and surveys are taken into account, one conclusion is clear, the companies who make the ads know very well that they are supporting underage drinking and alcohol abuse. People can all take a stand against these companies by addressing Congress to take action and re-ban these ads. If enough people voice their concerns they can accomplish this task.

Citations

Anonymous (2007, April). Alcohol Advertising and Youth. Retrieved January 25, 2009, from The Center on
Alcohol
Marketing and Youth Web site: http://www.camy.org/factsheets/index.php?FactsheetID=1

N/A (January 1, 2002). NBC. Retrieved January 25, 2009, from PBS Online News Hour Web site:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/media/jan-june02/liquor_1-1.html#

dnos14 said...
I think you should interview a different crowd other than friends and classmates because i think it expressed a certain bias PS. Im completing a highschool report on this article

kittykat1234 said...
it convinced me. Try to use different words besides minors and underaged indivuals. Also, try to simplify sentences so they're easy to understand. Ovall, great writing!