Let's Be Equal | Teen Ink

Let's Be Equal

By Leewill30 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
Leewill30 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana

African Americans’ face deaths from the authority monthly. African Americans are more likely to be unarmed when killed by the authority. Analysis finds that the police killed 102+ blacks so far this year, unarmed African Americans. Police killings in America have sparked up in national society, especially since the death of Mike Brown. That was wrong and unnecessary for the police to do that to him. The police should be held accountable and arrested for murder instead of a two-week suspension.

Sandra Bland, a strong black woman, was snatched out her car and she got slammed on the ground. On July 13, 2015 she had the wrong traffic light, snatched out, and was sent to jail. If that was a white person, it would’ve been a smooth pull over, told them what they did wrong, and everyone would’ve been alive. That is not being treated equality.

Police are killing more black people since slavery. It’s wrong because I haven’t seen a white person being killed by a police officer recently. According to the guardian, when police have killed unarmed people, 15% were white compared to 32% African American. Everyone is equal and should be treated in an equal manner. When a white person has done wrong to where an authority has to come to the scene, the officer took it easy on them. The Charleston church shooting that occurred on June 17, 2015 is a perfect example on how police officers treat white people. When they found the man that murdered the nine people, the police didn’t sling him around then threaten him nor shot him because he moved a little. They took Dylann Roof calmly and put in the car nicely, they even treated him to breakfast.  If that were a black person, on how the police been treating black people recently, they would’ve shot him on sight.

For being Black shouldn’t be a crime. The police should be taught a technique to arrest everyone the same way. Not just how they feel like doing because they’re just using their power for the wrong reasons.