Violent Video Games | Teen Ink

Violent Video Games

March 10, 2016
By acq21 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
acq21 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"thats one doodle that can't be undid homeskillet"~Juno the movie


We shouldn’t shelter teens around the age of 14 from playing violent video games. There is more good that could come from letting them play than you think. There are actually a lot of benefits that a student could get from playing video games; things like, relieving stress, improving creative and hand eye coordination skills. I have made this letter to argue this point.


According to greengarbageblog playing violent video games can relieve stress. There is just something about blowing up traffic or setting a car on fire that just makes the anger dissolve. Some people will say that letting teens play violent video games will make them want to act violently, but there is no study that showed, or even claimed this. Video games actually do the opposite. We let teens play violent video games so they don’t have to go and do something that could land them in jail. Why bother really killing someone when you could just do it on a video game?


Playing video games, especially first person shooter games like Call Of Duty can improve creativity, strategy, quick thinking, and hand eye coordination. In the article Ten Pros and Cons of Allowing Teens to Play Violent Video Games by greengarbageblog, it states that practicing aiming at someone or having to blow something up from long range can improve strategy or hand eye coordination. When you’re working with a team to achieve an overall goal together, you can all improve strategy, creativity, and possibly quick thinking.
Another thing that proves my claim, is that there is no evidence linking violent events with violent video games. According to these articles,, and many others, the popular argument, that these video games will make kids violent, is completely false. As I’ve mentioned before, there was no study made that shows or even claims this. I feel that this argument was created by parents who would rather their kid read a book, instead of playing video games.


Censoring teens from thee violence in these video games is wrong. Not only do they gain the benefits that I’ve stated above, but they should be prepared. These things do happen in the real world and when a teen sees these things happen, it's better to be prepared and not panic. If someone who's never even seen a violent video game before gets mugged, or witnesses a robbery, they are more likely to panic than someone who does play violent video games. In conclusion, I think that sheltering teens from violent video games is wrong.


The author's comments:

This piece was written about letting teens play violent video games. I wrote this because of the uproar of angry parents that were upset about their child playing video games.