Parents Overspend on Holidays for Their Kids | Teen Ink

Parents Overspend on Holidays for Their Kids

By avashaw BRONZE, Southborough, Massachusetts
avashaw BRONZE, Southborough, Massachusetts

“If I don’t get the new iPhone 6S for Christmas this year I will probably die. I also need a Macbook Air, a pair of  UGGS, Ray Ban sunglasses, a new speaker, and new Nike sneakers. If I don't get all of these, I will be so mad at my parents.”

Can you recall saying similar things to your friends or to yourself? I know I have said the exact same thing on Christmas and my birthday. Most kids have gone through the same thinking and look forward to the holidays so that they can get all the gifts they want but don’t need.

Remember back to your childhood, when your parents would ask what you wanted for Christmas, Hanukkah, your birthday, etc. You would write out a huge list of the expensive toys, clothes and games you wanted. You couldn't think of anything else leading up to the day, and on the day of, you'd get everything you asked for.

Children are often too occupied pondering about what's wrapped up in the box to acknowledge the special event that is occurring. If parents didn't spend so much on gifts and just gave their children a few small presents, kids wouldn't be counting down the days until they get presents and instead be counting down the days until they can spend quality family time together.

I bet it barely crossed your mind at how much all of those goodies cost your parents. According to TODAY Parents, parents spend an average of $271 on each child on Christmas, and one in ten parents admit to spending over $500 per kid. Parents often work extra hours, spending down to the last penny trying to please their children with gifts, when the children should be happy with time off from school and being with their family.

Parents need to stop overspending on their children and teach them what the holidays are really about. These special days should be about family, friends, religion and traditions. Each holiday should not be all about the presents you receive, but the aspect of being with the people who are most important to you.

Another thing about parents spending so much money on their kids is what they are teaching them.

Adolescents receiving many gifts from everyone they know on holidays, teaches them that material objects are very important.

If parents cut back on the money and spending on their kids for gifts, then maybe kids would grow up differently. They would learn that love and family are more important than toys and gifts. Children could learn to look forward to days spent with people they care about rather than the presents they obtain.