Sunday Hunting | Teen Ink

Sunday Hunting

April 4, 2016
By DARPADAVE BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
DARPADAVE BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Simply uttering the word “hunting” can spark controversy and initiate heated debate. Man has been hunting wild game since primitive projectiles could be propelled across the prairie. It is a way of life for many. Hunters are the number one source of revenue and support for land and forest conservation in Pennsylvania (Sunday). The hunters support the right to hunt on Sundays and the land they use. The sport is strictly regulated and monitored in Pennsylvania and has set dates and times when a hunter is legally allowed to engage in the sport (Hunting). Sunday hunting, one of the so called blue laws, a bygone set of bills set in place during colonial America “that forbids hunting of most game species on the Lord’s designated day of rest”, has been illegal as long as the Pennsylvania State Game Commission has existed and has been an origin of dispute among the hunting community (Sunday). Many people are busy all other days of the week, and Sunday is the only day available to hunt, so why should these people be excluded from experiencing the great outdoors like the rest? Sunday hunting should be legalized in the state because hunters provide for the most revenue that goes toward the economy, conservation, and government jobs.
        

Other states surrounding Pennsylvania have realized the economic boon that Sunday hunting provides. As a result they have lifted the bans to let the camo hit the woods on those days. Right now, hunters provide over $986 million that goes into the economy for things such as equipment, lodging, and gas (Miller). A large portion of Pennsylvania’s economy is stimulated by hunters and how they spend their money. An extra day of hunting would increase this amount and have money flowing more readily in the state. “Hunting also supports 15,000 jobs” which totals to about “$529 million in salaries” (Miller). People rely on hunting not only to put meat in the freezer, but also bread on the table. Increases in hunting can help these people better their way of life. Hunting does not just provide jobs; it also supplies the state with much needed tax money. Taxation on the sport provides about $126 million in state taxes and $136 million in federal taxes. Currently, there are 1.5 million eligible license holders in the state, but merely 950,000 purchased a license last year (Miller). Sunday hunting could increase this number which would in turn increase money generated from taxation. Surpluses in taxes could lead to better conservation efforts and public spending. In total, “the economic ripple of hunting in Pennsylvania totals about $1.6 billion” (Miller). Included in this enormous number are roughly 8,000 estimated jobs (Legalization). Sunday hunting simply stands to increase this number for the benefit of everybody in the state. Boom.
        

Despite the cogent evidence which shows that Sunday hunting will benefit the state; there is an opposition to this proposition with completely legitimate claims including the fact that farmers need a day without hunters on their property. The Farm Bureau is the leading force in the ban on Sunday hunting. With over 53,000 members in Pennsylvania alone, their collective voice is the strongest factor in the argument against lifting the ban. Farm bureau members also claim to want a day free of hunters traversing their land. Other groups, including hikers and bird watchers also desire a day to backpack through the nature of Pennsylvania without the fear of high-powered bullets whizzing by their heads. Some sportsmen even support the blue law advocating that the critters of the woods need a day to rest from the stress of pursuing hunters (Legalization). Sunday hunting has huge amounts of opposition hence why it is still in place. Farmers are an essential part of Pennsylvania’s economy and image; however, since the bulk of the hunting season occurs outside of the farming season farmers face no detriment to their livelihoods. Pennsylvania’s Game Commission also has certain programs that reward landowners, farmers, who allow hunters to use their property (Coalition). Moreover, if farmers do not appreciate hunters utilizing their land they are free to post it to forbid any hunting or trespassing.
        

Hunting is an integral part of the people and economy of Pennsylvania. Many hunters in today’s busy world can only use the woods on a Sunday. This has the potential to significantly raise revenue brought in from hunting licenses. Capital taken from here would be filtered back into conservation efforts, government jobs, and hence the economy. Farmers could even benefit through the special programs. A resounding economic and social benefit can be predicted by allowing hunters to use the woods on Sunday. There was a period when gas and shoes could not be purchased on a Sunday; however, times have changed, and the time has come for this law to change for the benefit of the state.


The author's comments:

I hunt. This is good. Make it known.