Religious Acceptance | Teen Ink

Religious Acceptance

By Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

I think that for many people, it is a natural instinct to condemn the people that do not belong to their group and its way of thinking. To say, ‘if you do not believe what we believe, worship as we worship, and follow what we are following, then you do not belong to what is right.’ It is a sad way to affirm that what you believe in is true and the only truth. Being a Christian, I’m afraid to say that we hold great fault when it comes to accepting other religions. Many Christians think that if you don’t follow Jesus, then you will end up in Hell, a though which seems to me to be very flawed.

My view of acceptance is very different from my view of tolerance. Tolerating something, to me, indicates that there is something that must be put up with. Accepting something is greeting it with open arms. It would be something if the arguing religions found a way to tolerate each other. However, it would be so much more to understand and embrace each other. We must recognize than no one is completely right or completely wrong about death, life, and God. Let’s stop excluding the spiritual stranger and be able to learn something from them.

The key to this policy of open arms is to recognize that God is infinitely bigger than one faith, one religion. God is too complex for us to know all about him, so no one can decide who he acknowledges as his ‘chosen people.’ Even though I’m a Christian, I whole-heartedly believe that God loves, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, agnostics, the nonreligious, and so on. He loves them and accepts them into heaven after death.

My grandmother once told me that the spiritual journey is like a cluster of paths. Some are longer and more difficult to walk than others, but they all lead to the same place. Everybody forges their own paths; the paths sometimes cross, join, and wind in different directions. Each soul makes its own journey, sometimes inadvertently. Each soul finds its way to God. It is not a certain religion that leads us quickest to him, but faith in what we believe in and devotion to it. Most of all, it is following what God stands for even if you don’t know that it is him that you are following. The quickest path to God is standing for love, compassion, kindness, purity, etc. God is too caring to choose one group of people over another. So the least we can do is follow in his footsteps and love one another, even if are beliefs are different.

I hope that I don't offend anyone with this article. I also hope that this will aid your acceptance of different faiths.

~Kahlil Gibran

Well-phrased question, my friend. It is my belief that if 'good things' are done with love, then we are in fact getting to know God. The atheist benefactor may say "I'm helping the homeless" and is in spirit becoming closer to God, though his mind doesn't realize it.

smalltownwrite210, Apex, North Carolina
I love how honest this was and it's great to know there are people who actually believe in real acceptance and don't just keep their condemning thoughts to themselves. I just have one question. If God really loves us so much like you said then shouldn't we try to get to know him instead of just doing good things?

~Kahlil Gibran

I'm very grateful for your encouragement, Ms. Hannah Banana! I'm glad that I came across that way.

I thank you dearly for reading and commenting.

Beautiful, beautiful piece. I really enjoyed this article! I could honestly feel your love and compassion kind of emanating from the words of your article. And I loved how you were so gentle about trying to get others to accept other people's faiths. You didn't try to force it anyone, and that in itself made this article more enjoyable. 

Keep writing, my friend!! :)

~Kahlil Gibran

Thank you so much for reading this and commenting. I'm glad that you can identify with my beliefs.

~Kahlil Gibran

Aw, well shucks.

LondonEye DIAMOND, Randolph, New Jersey
I especially love the last three sentences of this piece. Couldn't have said it better myself. 

~Kahlil Gibran

Thanks for the declaration of my deepness. I'm glad that our thoughts regarding the matter match up like... things... that match. Am I a Stargirl? In some respects, but I am more of a Silentraven. I am several things, my friend.

IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

This is very deep. The majority of your writings are. This (I like to think) describes my feelings perfectly.

Are you a Stargirl too?

DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

"Even though I’m a Christian, I whole-heartedly believe that God loves, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, agnostics, the nonreligious, and so on. He loves them and accepts them into heaven after death"

I'm Catholic and I feel the same way.

~Kahlil Gibran

My inspiration? The experiences I've collected: the visions and thoughts of a quiet mind, the cheerful musings of a happy spirit, and the wanderings of a tired soul.

In_Love_Loved PLATINUM, Concord, New Hampshire

"I've lost my faith in so many things but I still believe in you." -Sanctus Real

Haha, I didn't think you were harsh! When I feel like what I'm doing is either wrong or not good enough I fall down a rabbit hole which I was about to do because I thought my thoughts and the majority of my articles were...too on the straight and narrow. And I'm still learning. So instead of being like "well I'm terrible" I like to be constructive with what my feedback. I really do like your work and it reminds me more of how I want to write. I do like the others! What's your inspiration?

~Kahlil Gibran

I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to sound so harsh when I commented. I was just in a bad mood. What I forgot to say was this: I admire your faith in what you believe in; that is a wonderful trait.

Thanks for commenting, though! I stick to what I said about 'the orangutan and the hound;' I love those two! :)

Hi! I really liked this. I am sorry about what I wrote. I don't mean to offend or dictate. It's just my random thoughts but I'm glad you said what you said and I like your work. And keep writing. Thanks!

~Kahlil Gibran

Thank you very much!

~Kahlil Gibran

Thanks for commenting! I admire atheists for not letting religious people tear them down and their respect for logic.

~Kahlil Gibran

Very true, and thanks for commenting!

lindseymarie SILVER, Richfield, Minnesota

I really enjoyed this, and I really appreciate that you are so accepting and compasionate about people of other religions. That in and of itself seems to be a forgotten art, which is such a shame.

People are all people despite religious difference, and deserve to be loved, cared for, and accepted, even if their beliefs or morales do not fit a carbon copy of someone elses.

Needless to say, I really enjoyed this. Keep writing!

skribbelz13 SILVER, Basking Ridge, New Jersey

"I reject your reality and insert my own."

I'm actually atheist myself, but I believe in your acceptance philosophy. I see how much religion helps people through difficult times and can bring them together. What I don't like is when people look down on those who do not share their beliefs or even disbeliefs. This piece was very well written, like ll of your work! Keep it up :)

NativeWriter GOLD, Santa Rosa, California
This is a very true piece here, all religions should be accepting of one another. because each one has taken from another and altered it into ones own faith so if we are to really understand religion as a total everyone should accept what is a whole not different and a part.