Religious Equality | Teen Ink

Religious Equality

March 21, 2012
By Bausch18 BRONZE, Moline, Illinois
Bausch18 BRONZE, Moline, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Religious tolerance in the United States has always been a huge ordeal. It has also sparked controversy between the elite of politics and the lowest of social class. In the United States, a nation founded on supposedly unbiased but surprisingly Christian principals, we see evidence all over supporting a country that not only raises Christianity on a pedestal, but doesn’t fully recognize the importance of other religions.

With Christmas quickly approaching, the signs are all around us. Businesses lure customers in with ads promising great deals for their family member’s gifts. Decorations litter the lawns of more than a few jolly fellows yearning for the night when Old Saint Nick will come dropping down their chimney. It is only October. Christmas is a national holiday in the United States-almost every working person gets the day of work. It is also the only national holiday to be originated by a religious celebration. To me as a Roman Catholic, this brings a great sense of honor that our nation would commemorate that day as a day of remembrance. This I feel also brings a great deal of disrespect for other religions in a country that has laws against religious bias and prejudice. No other religion, even the Jewish, who also use the Old Testament of the Bible, do not have one of their holidays celebrated by the United States government.

Another argument in America is over the use of “Under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance. These two words are part of a pledge that speaks not only to our own citizens, but to the rest of the world. Other countries looking in at America see a very unusual scene, one of bias, one of judgment, one of hypocritical notions. Our country does include atheists and other religious groups that do not believe in the God of the Christians, Jews, and surprisingly the Muslims. Although these main groups make up a large majority of the population, we as Americans have a responsibility to not represent the country with God. This would show respect to the minority that doesn’t believe in God. “Under God” was put into the Pledge of Allegiance a long time ago. Now it is time to modernize and rationalize and remove those two bias words. Trust me, those words do hurt coming from a Christian, but this is not about my religion, what follows the laws set by our forefathers.

In the last several decade, steps have been taken to attempt to remove this bias from our country and those who will inherit it. In education, the Bible tale of creation was removed to make room for the still taught evolution theory. Catholic politicians even seem to have a disadvantage in running for office due to the “separation of church and state” cries. This could mean the end of more Christian related controversies.

America right now is a Christian dominated country, not only in numbers, but in representation. I believe this needs to be changed. God should not be taught in a government required learning program or in our Pledge. Christmas should also not be a national holiday because it undermines the boundaries of favoritism toward one religion. Our country has always prided itself on being “equal”, but how closely are we actually following that? If we truly create an equal society, where does that take us? That’s another day.