Masterwork | Teen Ink

Masterwork

By CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina
CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Lego ergo sum (Latin—I read, therefore, I am)
The pen is mightier than the sword—unknown
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity—1 Timothy 4:12

Everyone dreams of adventure. Isn’t that why people read novels? To engross themselves into another world, to travel alongside a character you love on all his or her trials and adventures. How would you feel if you were a character in a story? If you were chosen, or born for it, or in the right place at the right time in order to save a planet or a country or a people, to vanquish a deadly foe, to fall in love or overthrow oppression, to make a difference in a way you never could have imagined on your own.

As with every good story, you would start off as the underdog. Maybe you’re bullied at school, or ignored, or don’t think you’re good enough, or have a debilitating flaw. Odds are, at the beginning of your story, whatever the problem is, nobody thinks you can handle it.

But slowly, you rise to meet the challenge. Through heartbreaking trials, through thick and thin, you persevere, out to do the right thing. You may not think you’re good enough, but you press on because you have to. Like it or not, the story rides on you. Whether it’s lives of freedom or friendship, something is at stake, and it depends on you.

At some point, there is what I like to call a “dungeon moment.” You’ve read of them. It’s that one point where the hero—you—are taken captive and at the mercy of the enemy, when you’re certain everything is lost, when all of your efforts are ignored. Defeat is so close, you can taste it, and it doesn’t taste good.

But before long, something happens. Something turns everything around, changes everything. Whether it is another character giving hope, or the enemy’s weakness being revealed, or a brilliant escape plan being hatched, something turns the tide and changes things. You, the hero, unexpectedly rise again to fight another day, to make one last-ditch effort, because you know that if you can’t do it, no one can. And against all odds, you succeed. Against all odds, you emerge victorious, you vanquish the enemy, you make things right.

I realize that not every story goes exactly like this, but I can think of countless stories where this basic skeleton is found. Many of the best books I’ve ever read—a vast majority, come to think of it—follow this design. The only reason it’s not cliché is that it never gets old, and there are so many variations of it that an author can use it as many times as they like and still have an original story.

Most in the audience can appreciate another aspect of a good story: no story is made without a good writer. There is an author behind every story with every character in every situation. No matter who the main character is, he or she was specially created to fulfill a purpose, to accomplish something. And every writer, no matter what else they write, will ensure that every character fulfills his or her role. A writer knows his or her characters inside and out, better than they know themselves. A writer designs a story in such a way that no matter what the main character has to go through, he or she always rises to the challenge, and is able to do all that is asked of him or her.

What if you were a character in a story? Don’t ask yourself, “Would I be able to do it?” I can answer that for you: yes, you can, since you ARE in a story.

You were created for a purpose. You were conceived of before the world began, the days of your life already ordained. Your story was already being built when you were born. The Author knows you inside and out, knows your every thought and emotion, and is honing you to be exactly the character He has in mind.

An Author created the universe and everything in it. This Author is easily the best to ever exist; He’s written billions of stories. Maybe you think you’re not good enough, but get this: not only are you one of His main characters, but for countless others, you are a sidekick or supporting role or you make a cameo appearance. Without you, any number of stories would never come to fruition. One person can and does make such an impact. Every person you come in contact with, you affect somehow. It’s a ripple effect: you will never know exactly how someone else was changed by meeting you. But the Author knows. He designed it that way.

Don’t protest that you’re just one of billions. A wise pastor* once said, “Ever number has a name every name has a story and every story matters to God.” And this holds true, no matter who you are. Why? Because God is the Author, and He wrote your story. You are His masterwork.

Romans 1:16--For I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes. 

*Perry Noble. Thanks to PTsaxplayer for the quote!

InkyOwl GOLD said...
InkyOwl GOLD, Bloomington, Indiana

Where Words fail, Music speaks.
~Hans Christian Anderson

Wow. This was simply beautiful! You are a truly inspiring writer. Thank you so much for writing this. BTW, Romans 1:16 is one of my fave verses! :)

the-mormon-introvert GOLD, Alpine, Utah

Even when the dark comes crashing through, When you need a friend to carry you, And when you're broken on the ground, You will be found
--Evan Hansen, Dear Evan Hansen

I love it! This is so true and I'm glad somebody put it in words. Good job :)

PTsaxplayer GOLD, Boiling Springs, South Carolina

"I am as old as I've ever been, but I'm as young as I'll ever be." -Robert O'Neill

Hey @CNBono17 been a while. I just realized you are from Clover! I am from Spartanburg we should get together sometime soon :)

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Thank you so much, and God bless! (Love your work as well:) )

writer-violist DIAMOND, Jenks, Oklahoma

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Wow! Just wow! CNBono17, you did an amazing job on this piece! At first, I didn't realize that it was about faith but then the puzzle pieces fit together perfectly. I loved how you added biblical truths to writing and that everyone has a place and that they are not just a number. I really liked many of the phrases you used such as "Defeat is so close, you can taste it, and it doesn’t taste good.", "or a brilliant escape plan being hatched, something turns the tide and changes things", and calling God the Author because I know that he is the author! You did a great job on this article! Great job! :)

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

God bless:) And love both the Psalms and Sam's speech!

LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York

"What is impossible with man is possible with God." Luke 18:27

"I will never leave you, nor forsake you." - Hebrews 13:5 "Trust in the LORD, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness." - Psalm 37:3 "For the arms of the wicked shall be broken, but the LORD upholds the righteous. The LORD knows the days of the upright, and their inheritance shall be forever." -Psalm 37:17-18 "By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories...the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. Sometimes you didn't want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? ('Victory! We have victory!')But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you; that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think...I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holding onto something...There's some good in this world...and it's worth fighting for." -LotR.

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Thanks so much!

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

I had never heard that one, but I looked it up just now. My gosh, it's amazing. Thanks:)

gracefulwaters SILVER, Paris, Other

- Begin doing what you want to do now. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand ... and melting like a snowflake. -- Ray
- Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. -- Chekhov

To be honest, I started reading this, and immediately I thought that it would be like something Teenink sends in the newsletters to help you become a better writer, but I quickly realized it was completely different. Then I thought it was cool, but I didn't really understand why you wrote it. Then, towards the end, I realized that you meant God was the author, and I thought it was a religious opinion article. Which it is. But a lot more interesting than what you would expect of an article with that title. Your writing style is unique, and I love this article. I think your word choice is exquisite, and I like your opening (attention grabbing) and your closing (leaves reader with hope and a smile). I'll say it again, I love this article.

BreeZephyr SILVER, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

“In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him...it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.” - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

This work actually makes me think of this Avalon song called "The Greatest Story". It's a little bit like your piece. And no, I haven't heard that song, but I'll look it up :D

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Thank you! God bless! BTW have you heard the song He Will Carry Me by Mark Schultz? Godsend...

This is a beautiful message for people all over the world. Very well written. And guess what's also a beautiful message: the Villain has already lost the battle :)

WOWriting SILVER, Broadstairs, Other
Interesting piece. Really made me think. Im not sure what to say... Don't believe in God (I think?) but this was still a really intriguing perception. Nice work :)

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Thank you so much! Although I think God gave me a nudge on this one:)

Beila BRONZE said...
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

Wow! Thank you! Thank you so much for sharing this message! As a religious Jewish girl, I believe passionately in the unique, irreplacable role that every single human being alive must serve. Your article is so well written and so cleverly connected to the daydream of being a story character. A couple years ago, my family moved to a city where we knew no one, and it was a very difficult period in my life, emotionally. Amazingly enough, I met a person there seemingly by chance (though there are no coincidences), and since then, we have both completely changed the other's life. The relationship we have has been a privilege for me to be a part of, and this piece really struck that part of my heart that I reserve for this special friend. Thank you again for sharing such a beautiful, heartfelt message.