Making Jocks Want To Go To School | Teen Ink

Making Jocks Want To Go To School

November 1, 2013
By Cameron Curtiss BRONZE, Crested Butee, Colorado
Cameron Curtiss BRONZE, Crested Butee, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I think we should have a school sport as one of our classes in the day. This will make school attendance better by having kids that only focus sports, come to class to attend their sport. Students will focus more because they will be less fidgety and it will help kid’s education. Having a sport as a class will also allow more kids to play sports. This will have our school more engaged in our school sports. Therefore, school sports enhance kids education.
Having a sport during the day will help kids focus during the day and make the school attendance better. John P. Trougakos believes that mental concentration is like a muscle. He says this because after a long work out, muscles need a rest (To Stay). After thinking hard for a while it is great to take a short break. People daydream to give the brain a rest from thinking so hard (To Stay). I think teachers think that we can do that in between going home and homework. That is where people start to procrastinate. If we had these sports during school, it would give us time to rest. Right after that sport class, we would go back to class and work. Dr. Antronette Yancey states that kids are more focused and will fidget less during class (Neighmond). This would also improve attendance because every school has those kids that don’t really care about school. They only care about sports. So naturally, they cut class because they think they don’t need to go to class because they can get a sport scholarship. If the sport is during the school hours, they will come to class so they can go to their sport. Having a sport as a class will not only increase attendance and concentration, but it will allow more kids to play sports and can help with educations.

More students will play sports if it is during school and it can help with educations. Some teens can’t play sports because they don’t have the time after school. Also, some kid’s parents can’t drive them to or from practice (Neighmond). If it was during school, they wouldn’t have to worry about this. Also, after school practices can conflict with school work. I play soccer and a lot of my team mates are skipping practice to go to tutoring and then they aren’t getting the play time they should be. Also, with practice after school every day, we get home and have homework to do. After soccer, it gets late and we are tiered and because of this, a lot of my teammates (including myself) blow off homework. If we didn’t have soccer every day after school, we could go home and do homework. Also, the kids that can’t play sports because they don’t have time would be able to. Sports during school would help more kids play sports and help the kids in sports, with education but also help with school spirit.


The school spirit would be raised a lot and school facilities would be used more if sports were during school. A lot of students find out that there is a home game from the announcements an hour before the game. By that time most teens have already made plans. If the sports are going on during school, a lot more students would be informed and we would have a lot more fans at our games. Also, there are very great showers in the boy’s locker room and a very pleasant weight room that rarely ever gets used. All sports could use the weight room and a lot of people would shower after a sport before returning to school. As a result, there would be more school pride and more people could use our amazing facilities that hardly ever get used.
After all these reasons, I think it would be a great idea if we had a sport as a class period. Having that will improve school attendance, have our school more involved in our school sports, get extra kids to play sports, help kid’s education, and help kid’s focus. If you add up all the time kids put into homework and class, we have close to fifty hour weeks. Most adults only work forty hours a week. So don’t you think we should be able to take a break and play a sport we love? For these reasons, I think we should have a school sport as a class period.