Chaos | Teen Ink

Chaos

By DaisyAngel BRONZE, Sandy Springs, Georgia
DaisyAngel BRONZE, Sandy Springs, Georgia

It seems to thrive in the worst of times, gripping at the edges of life to tear it apart. You tremble at the very thought of it approaching, because you do not want to be caught in its flaming arms. It can cause pain, both mental and physical, and yet we still permit its existence. While it comes in times of war, it also comes when we are at our happiest. Balloons being released into the air, the wind guiding them like a spirit; children screaming when they see them float by; and the thundering of our feet against the gravel as we try to catch the orbs are not moments that bring us peace, but we still do not will them away. We all desire to sing, to dance. Chaos is neither our friend nor our foe, but it is instead a creature whose relationship with us is unique within itself. This is why it lives.

Seeker100 said...
Seeker100, Inverness, Illinois
wow, this is incredible.  I'm especially taken with the diction you used - descriptive word choice is something I strive for in my own writing as well. Really fantastic piece!(:

I've actually read a really good poem like that. I think it's under my favorites. :)

Thanks for commenting! It's actually a prose poem, which people aren't really as familiar with and/or don't accept as a true form of poetry. There isn't a category on Teen Ink for it, but most other websites recognize it. :)

deleted said...
deleted, Miami, Florida
Really interesting, and I agree with Aster. For something like chaos, it could be really cool to start messing with the English language :p good job :)

Watson, GOLD said...
Watson, GOLD, Billings, Montana

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

Very interesting take on chaos. Good, original ideas. I like to think of poetry as an artform, even if it is an article. You may want to try playing around with capitalization, line spacing, or eve grammar! Once you know the rules, you can break them!

Behind_a_Plastic_Smile GOLD, Roseville, California

"if you're not 1st you're last"

i love the imagry created where. your personification of chaos is very interesting and unique- the only thing i would say if the formatting would be better of separated into verses and stanzas

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

I like how you describe the chaos and I like the imagery when you compared it to the balloons, children and thundering of feet. I also like the concept of this poem--the relationship between human beings and chaos. Other than that, I think you should break it into lines because when I first saw it, it looked to me more like a prose than a poem. But I really like this poem.

Lizla BRONZE said...
Lizla BRONZE, Shelter Island, New York

"Everyone struggles against despair, but it always wins in the end. It has to. It's the thing that lets us say goodbye." -Jeffrey Eugenides

I really like this! It's a unique take on an uncommon topic. Well done! I think the only thing that would improve it is some formatting, some of the lines run a little long, shortening them makes the leaps between lines more distinct. 

Inksy SILVER said...
Inksy SILVER, A, Utah

"Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead"
~Benjamin Frankiln
"Love? Above all things I believe in love. Love is like oxygen. Love is a many splendored thing. Love lifts us up where we belong. All you need is love."
~Moulin Rouge

I like this a lot. I kept trying to figure out what it was, like a riddle, until I remembered the title (: I like your perspective on it and all of the different situations and emotions you fit the word "chaos" into. My only suggestion is to fix the formatting. Other than that, fantastic job, keep up the good work (:

these-roses GOLD, Bristol, Indiana

so many books, so little time

hola i like this poem, keep writing :)